To extend or to move

YouNeek

I'm looking for more space, so I'm at the "extend or move" stage.

Stamp duty would be ~ 45K - 57K (depending on which side of the 635K threshold a purchase falls), which I'd rather not see in Brian Cowen's pocket.

I've got a rough quote for attic conversion of 18-20K.

Would anyone who has done an extension give a rough idea of costs?

Either:
- a conservatory, or
- a brick extension, with tiled roof/velux windows, etc.
We'd be looking at the build, redecorating the room off which the extension would be built, and a new kitchen.
It's a 3 bed semi-d in Dublin.

(SCS gives rebuilding costs per sq ft - not sure if the figures are applicable).

Also, in terms of getting quotes on an extension, where's the best places to start - builder/architect?

Hello YouNeek,
Extend if your location / neighbours /schools is /are good. It's probably cheaper as you will probably want to redecorate a new home anyway.
Attic prices sound about right - it's probably a good idea to reinforce the floor to give extra stability, increase sound proofing and avoid ceiling cracks. Generally the space isn't too big, but if you put in two good size velux it will feel nice and bright. Get a good size staircase up to the attic and a roof light over that as well.
Extension - 30K plus depending on final spec.
You could get advise from both a builder and an architect (seeing as they don't think so highly of each other) and evaluate all the ideas. Most builders want to see plans and sections. Just depends how far you want the architect to get in involved. Drawings only or supervision.
Enjoy the fun!

Get an architect involved is my advice as you can't trust a word a builder says to you (no offence to any here!), having an architect gives you someone to check what the builder is doing and in my experience of doing an extension this is essential! Before we did our extension I didn't know why an architect was worth the money but now I really think its important to have a third party involved unless its a very small job. They will also save you a lot of hassle when something needs to be checked or researched for the job and you don't have time to do it yourself. Often decisions need to be made quickly and its great to have someone to call. Also - budget in moving out, the noise and disruption of a build is massive.

Back