To Dremel or not to Dremel?

OhPinchy

I'm toying with the idea of getting a Dremel craft drill, something along the lines of http://www.woodiesdiy.com/productdetail.aspx?pid=3099&loc=P&catid=10.13 (this).

The main short term reason I want it for is for cutting non-standard cuts in 100mm square ceramic wall tiles. Does the Dremel cut ceramic tiles with the accessories that are supplied as standard?

Has anyone any experience using a Dremel – are they a quality product and what kind of uses have you found for it? I am doing extensive renovations and an extension to my house so I can imagine I will find plenty of uses for it, but I’m wondering how often people find themselves using them.

Can you get by with the standard accessories or do you really need a fuller range to get best use of it? Are there major differences between the different models or are they gimmicky differences just to get you to splash more cash? Would you recommend battery powered or corded?

Thanks

Hi OhPinchy
Please don't waste your money on the Dremel tool- it's a tool designed for modelmakers, hobbyists and small handcrafts. In fact it's quite good at these activities but it would take a long time to cut tiles with it. For this I recommend two options:
1. Buy a cheap 4" angle grinder for less than €40 and fit a diamond tipped blade for about €10 (cheaper quality DIY blade is fine for this). This will allow you to cut and shape ceramic and porcelain tiles. I bought a cheapy "Einhell" grinder for €20 in my local hardware store and fitted it with a cheap diamond blade and have used it to cut tiles, chase walls, cut out socket boxes, chase out for lead flashings etc. In short it's the best €30 I ever spent on a tool and it should last me for years.

2. If you have a lot of tiles to cut (especially porcelain, which must be sawn) buy a wet tile saw from somewhere like Argos. I bought their "Challenge" one for about €60 3 years ago and have found it to be more than adequate for the job. It comes with a diamond blade and allows you to make accurate, repetetive saw cuts in stone, ceramic and porcelain.

Whichever option you take (or both) buy yourself a good pair of ear defenders and safety glasses, the chips from cutting porcelain are like glass and the noise from the cutting operation is very loud.

I got a similar product from Aldi, 28 euros
It is fine for small jobs like gettinh excess dry grout off a tile, etc

I'd imagine you would be all day trying to cut a tile with it though

As suggested, a cheap angle grinder and diamond blade will do the job,
Practice on a few sample tiles first to get the hang of it

thanks for that.

I've got a loan of a small angle grinder now so that should do the trick, though have you any advice on keeping the tiles from cracking as this has happened me a couple of times?

You have to do it slowly, i.e. you will not be able to make the cut in one go, and avoid trying to break the cut away piece off..

Around the toliet will be trickly, especially an small ensuite

I done mine 3 months after breaking my ankle, so never again

(Break my ankle that is:)

As bertson suggests, make the cut gradually. The way that I was shown (for large porcelain floor tiles, but same should apply for wall tiles) is to score along the cut line first, then cut in a few mm's at each end of the cut at full depth, and then go back over the line, cutting gradually deeper at each section. This is when using an angle grinder with a diamond blade.

Good luck, and definitely do not try it without safety glasses at the very least.

Put the tile you are cutting on a soft flat surface like 2 sheets of corrugated cardboard, take your time and remember the safety glasses.

Also, try to cut into the tile at both 'ends' before you cut deeply, i.e. dont leave the end of your cut unscored as this may chip if it breaks.

I have cut at least 80 tiles like this doing a kitchen and hall recently and it is slow but you get what your after.

Back