To claim Jobseekers Allowance or NOT?

ticn99

Hi

I've been a stay at home parent the past 8 years with 3 Kids, am now looking to return to work (on a casual basis initially, with a view to going full time).

During this period I didn't claim and Jobseekers benefit/allowance and my husband was the sole earner (all my tax credits are with him)

We have a medical card.

Would it be worth my while financially applying for Jobseekers benefit or would there be any disadvantages?

Thanks

You can't claim JB as you need stamps (based on recent work history) for that. You could apply for JA maybe but its means tested. Best plan is go to local Intreo office and ask them if its worth applying based on your circumstances.

As above, will depend on the family income but if you qualified for anything at all even a small payment it would probably give you options to do training courses if you wanted, also you must be looking for full time work to qualify for it.

Thanks for the replies, any idea if I qualified for the JSA...would it put my current qualification for medical card in jeopardy?

Back