to change or not to change ...

f0zzy

Hi,

Our prediciment...

We have a 2005 Renault Grand Scenic Dynamique. It was a demo, so got
it for 28k in May of that year. It now has 58,000 km on the clock, has had, a couple of issues (all of which to date were covered under warranty). The
car suits our needs perfectly, is very comfortable BUT we're being advised to
change. The car is in perfect condition, clean, and has been well looked after.

So why are we being advised to change ? Reliability of Renault, relatively high milleage for a 2 yr old, and shocking trade in value.

We're being told its now (painfully) only worth only 17k against a new Corolla Verso 1.8 Luna or a new S-Max. Thats a 5.5k depreciation per year.

So should we change ? S-Max is out of our price range really, however Corolla Verso, while a nice, reliable, good rep. car is due for a model roll over next year.

Is it worth it ? Should we run for it now, bite the bullet and change or wait it out, take the 'risk'/depreciation hit on the chin and change in say a years time ?

Would it be madness to go for a go for a Verso now given this model will be out of date in a years time ?

Much appreciate all/any advice/comments ?

f0z

While the S-Max is a much nicer looking car the Galaxy is about the same money and much bigger inside. The old model Galaxy should be good value (and in my opinion is a better laid out car inside).

Why not consider a new Grand Scenic. You may do better in a Ranault garage than in a Ford garage. If you are doing such high mileage you would probably be trading in again before the warranty expires. As you said the Scenic serves your purpose well and any issues with reliability are more of an inconvenience than anything else. As regards trade in value, if you're trading in any 2 yr old car of this type with 60k on the clock you're going to take a big hit. I don't think a Ford would fare much better in this regard.

As regards trade in value, if you're trading in any 2 yr old car of this type with 60k on the clock you're going to take a big hit. I don't think a Ford would fare much better in this regard.

No actually, the Ford S-Max is predicted to have very good residuals, class leading in fact. I'd recommend chopping it in for the Ford and get a better trade in price, that Scenic still has alot more depreciating to do!

Thats 58000 km, or 36000 miles, which works out at 18k miles per year.

Ford S-Max is a nice car but also a big step up price wise that would be a big stretch. I'd hate to be in the same position in 2 years time and find it has dropped massively in value.

Logic has it that you should hang onto it for a while: depreciation flattens out over time, so by selling early you're not taking advantage of that (as you point out you've already taken the big hit).

In other words, if you're otherwise happy with the car, depreciation considerations would say hang on: the cost/year will be that much lower by doing so.

As a matter of interest, is it a diesel? I have an '04 Scenic 1.9 diesel, and have exactly the same issues about selling (thought thankfully our has been 100% reliable).

No actually, the Ford S-Max is predicted to have very good residuals, class leading in fact.

How can anyone predict residual values with any accuracy? Is there not an element of crystal ball gazing going on here or is it just wishful thinking? I just wondering who exactly is predicting that this particular car will have "class leading" residuals and what are they basing this prediction on..

As a matter of interest, is it a diesel? I have an '04 Scenic 1.9 diesel, and have exactly the same issues about selling (thought thankfully our has been 100% reliable).

Its petrol. The issues we had, while all sorted now, sewed a seed of doubt
in our minds. At the time though they were more of an inconvenience.

On the flip side, Renault dealer was top class in terms of customer care and
after sales service.

Think you should hold - by the way who is advising you to change (a garage that hopes to sell you a new car?).

The price you're being quoted for yours seem low - see the attached link for similar cars....

Best of luck.

BM

Its petrol. The issues we had, while all sorted now, sewed a seed of doubt
in our minds. At the time though they were more of an inconvenience.

I know what you mean. Even though ours is running just fine, I just have this feeling it's about to start causing problems. We considered changing it earlier this year, for exactly your reasons, but decided to hold on for a couple more.

On the flip side, Renault dealer was top class in terms of customer care and
after sales service.

Can you say who this is? our own experience has been very mixed with Renault dealers.

Can you say who this is? our own experience has been very mixed with Renault dealers.

Prefer not to post it here if thats ok.

Advice to change is really just coming from various discussions with friends & family. Of course car dealer ships will do their usual, have you on the back foot straight away giving you that vibe that they are doing you a HUGE
favour for doing a trade. Its the same every time I've gone to buy a car.
Its a tactic, but even knowing that its still not pleasant.

There has to be easier ways of having a decent family motor without
going through this hassle and pain every few years ...

Prefer not to post it here if thats ok.

Advice to change is really just coming from various discussions with friends & family. Of course car dealer ships will do their usual, have you on the back foot straight away giving you that vibe that they are doing you a HUGE
favour for doing a trade. Its the same every time I've gone to buy a car.
Its a tactic, but even knowing that its still not pleasant.

There has to be easier ways of having a decent family motor without
going through this hassle and pain every few years ...

Make them feel exactly the same way. Like you're doing them a favour...and if they step out of line mention that you've been looking at some other motor in another dealership and you're very undecided right now as to which one to go for. Their tactic will change after that.
If you seem a bit gormless with a car dealer the ball is in their court. That's why when you know what you're talking about they soon drop a lot of the bull****. I've even had to ask a dealer to stop mentioning the "lovely leather seats" one time I was looking at a car...I can see they're leather...I am looking for leather seats. Most cars of this particular model can be found with leather...no need to keep banging on about it like it's gonna make up my mind!!!! ;)

Finally...there's one golden rule when talking to a car dealer. Ignore pretty much everything they say. If something they say actually makes sense go away and find out if they're lying to you. Certainly don't listen to them in relation to trading up again.

My advice re your predicament - keep the car. Unless the issues were big ones...just hang onto it. There's no guarantee that any other car won't have niggly issues.

How can anyone predict residual values with any accuracy? Is there not an element of crystal ball gazing going on here or is it just wishful thinking? I just wondering who exactly is predicting that this particular car will have "class leading" residuals and what are they basing this prediction on..

Eh.... Well supply and demand sort of gives some clue I guess.... And if you look at Glass' Guide in the UK they say the S-Max should retain at least 60% of it's value after 3 years, compare that to the Scenic which is in the mid to late thirties.

Back