To all PermanentTSB mortgage holders...

My story is very similar - fixed rate expired, list of options sent to me. Did some quick online searches and rang PTSB telling them I could do better elsewhere, offered 4.8% immediately - though this rate was not listed in their letter to me.

I lodged a formal complaint (and suggest that other posters here do so also) with PTSB to the effect that at the very least their notification should say something along the lines of "we may be able to do better please ring us".

Not doing so is a scam to my mind - yet again relying on customer inertia to make more money.

I'm told they have taken my complaint on board....we'll see.....

Mine was PRR.

I have an investment property at a rate already fixed at 4.75 so was ok with that.

I'd imagine they would do the same for an investment if the LTV is less than 80%

it's a tracker rate valid for lenght of mortgage unless I change to a fixed or variable.

Hi guys. I rang PTSB yesterday to get my rate reduced to the 4.8% LTV but did not quiet work out as I had hoped. Mortgage is < 50% LTV. The 1st person I talked to immediately said that he could reduce my rate from 5.3% to 5.1%. I told him that I was thinking of switching and that I was offerred 4.8% by another institution (without a valuation) and he put me onto someone from business retention.

This guy came on saying that in order for me to get the 4.8% I had to get a valuation done and was saying what a a big hassle it is to switch and wouldn't budge on the matter. He told me that he understands me switching as I'll have more money in my back pocket?? Now, if I employed this guy to retain customers, I would not be a happy camper as he is obviously not very good at his job. Do you think I should try and ring again? Not very happy with the level of service so it might be a good idea to switch!!

Sounds like the guy I got. I think their idea of business retention is to put people off the idea and to make it difficult for you to get the lower rate. They're effectively calling your bluff. If your house if genuinely less than 80% ltv have the valuation done. It will pay for itself.

My 1 year introductory fixed with PTSB is finishing and I have received a letter quoting all current rates including option to go onto the tracker of ECB + 0.8%.

An Update

Just to update this post....

I finally got off my backside and moved my mortgage to AIB. It was a bit of hassle, some of it caused by me, most of it caused by a crap solicitor.
Despite the hassle - it is worth it ! It took about 13 weeks from start to finish. The crap solicitor caused about 5 weeks of delays.

Interestingly, a slick guy from PTSB mortgages rang me a few days ago (same guy as mentioned above?) saying that he noticed we were moving. The conversation went something like this...

PTSB Guy: I see you are moving your mortgage. Why is this ?
Me: Your rate is 4.8%, AIB are giving me 4.6%
PTSB Guy: (I can hear him typing on his computer) That roughly works out at €25 per month. It's hardly worth the hassle is it ?
Me: <stunned silence> It's better in my pocket than yours !

Anyway - its all done and dusted now. I'm glad I did it and am trying to convince anyone who will listen to do the same!!

infinity
Can you advise please how you went about this?
Do you just ring banks and ask about switching etc?
What was the other hassle outside of solicitor if you don't mind me asking?
Many thanks in advance.

Back