Key Post Title Deeds - What documents should be scanned as a backup?

bbari1

I received the title documents of my home. Its a big lever arch file (with broken rings) with a lot of documents in it.

I intend to keep the title documents at home and want to scan and keep a soft copy of the important documents (which are hard to replace) as a backup.

I can see there are the following documents in the file,

1-Deed of Transfer dated (when we bought)
2-BER Cert
3-Company Secretary certificate of the management co. A
4-Company Secretary certificate of the management co. B
5-Certificate of membership
6-Architects opinion on compliance of with building regulations
7-Architects opinion on compliance of with planning permission
8-Certified copy Section 72 Declaration
9-Certified copy of statutory declaration re fishing rights
10-Certified copy letter from local council re compliance with Part V
11-Certified copy letter of compliance with relevant financial conditions from council
12-LPT/HC/NPPR declaration
13-Family Home protection cert on behalf of builder/seller
14-Searches
15-Indemnity
16-Contract of building agreements
17- Home bond Policy

There are few more document which seem to be the copies of the above and receipts of certain payments etc.

Can someone please let me know which of the above documents I should must scan/save on a USB?

Secondly, do you think the above documents constitute a complete list of what one would expect to receive when the mortgage is paid in full?

Thank you

bbari

1. This is not glib, but scan all of them as part of your backup. The main document is the Deed of Transfer as it establishes title. But all of the others are quite important, especially if you intend to sell down the road, as any purchaser’s solicitor will want to know that planning is in order, the building is in compliance etc.

2. The list looks comprehensive. Is there, for example a registration document from the Property Registration Authority?

1-Deed of Transfer dated (when we bought)- easily replaceable ( ER)
2-BER Cert - ( ER)
3-Company Secretary certificate of the management co. A - of little consequence OLC
4-Company Secretary certificate of the management co. B- OLC
5-Certificate of membership- OLC
6-Architects opinion on compliance of with building regulations -Essential
7-Architects opinion on compliance of with planning permission- Essential
8-Certified copy Section 72 Declaration OLC
9-Certified copy of statutory declaration re fishing rights - OLC
10-Certified copy letter from local council re compliance with Part V -part of planning docs - keep
11-Certified copy letter of compliance with relevant financial conditions from council --part of planning docs - keep
12-LPT/HC/NPPR declaration- Essential
13-Family Home protection cert on behalf of builder/seller- Essential
14-Searches- keep
15-Indemnity- Is estate in charge? Is developer still in business?-Keep
16-Contract of building agreements- of historical value only
17- Home bond Policy - Essential

Missing:
Copy Folio and file plan
Planning Permission

mf

I will try to scan everything where i can but certain documents are creased etc. I'll find some flat screen scanner as opposed to be a feeder one.

Folio and file plan: There is a large size A1 (i think) which has maps on it. Could that be it?
After paying off the mortgage, I downloaded folio from the PRA website and I could see that the bank charge has been cancelled, is that what you mean?

I will go thru the folder again when I'm scanning the documents and perhaps I will come across those missing from the list.

Thank you again.

Would you not pay for secure storage outside your house?

The risk of fire, theft, or flooding over the course of a few decades is not trivial.

The storage fee is only €30 per year.
The solicitor who provide the deeds storage is the one i used to sell a property last year. I'd a horrible experience with them and I don't trust they will return the deeds to me in a timely fashion when I'm selling the house in a year or two. Hence, I thought to manage this process myself for the foreseeable future.

If they HOLD the deeds, then there should be no delay in sending them to any new purchaser.

We have all of our documents scanned and backed up to hard drives and also in the cloud. Do scanned documents have the same legal status as the physical, paper copies given that they are simply pdf's of the original?

We have all of our documents scanned and backed up to hard drives and also in the cloud. Do scanned documents have the same legal status as the physical, paper copies given that they are simply pdf's of the original?
What I have heard..... If you have the copy documents then its easier to reconstitute the file.

Do scanned documents have the same legal status as the physical, paper copies given that they are simply pdf's of the original?
No, they do not have the same legal status, but are a good starting point if the originals are ever destroyed/lost.

Nothing beats an original.

Copies are susceptible to forgery and alteration.

1-Deed of Transfer dated (when we bought)- easily replaceable ( ER)
2-BER Cert - ( ER)
3-Company Secretary certificate of the management co. A - of little consequence OLC
4-Company Secretary certificate of the management co. B- OLC
5-Certificate of membership- OLC
6-Architects opinion on compliance of with building regulations -Essential
7-Architects opinion on compliance of with planning permission- Essential
8-Certified copy Section 72 Declaration OLC
9-Certified copy of statutory declaration re fishing rights - OLC
10-Certified copy letter from local council re compliance with Part V -part of planning docs - keep
11-Certified copy letter of compliance with relevant financial conditions from council --part of planning docs - keep
12-LPT/HC/NPPR declaration- Essential
13-Family Home protection cert on behalf of builder/seller- Essential
14-Searches- keep
15-Indemnity- Is estate in charge? Is developer still in business?-Keep
16-Contract of building agreements- of historical value only
17- Home bond Policy - Essential

Missing:
Copy Folio and file plan
Planning Permission

mf
Spent last couple of hours in scanning all the documents.

couple of questions re Missing documents if you don't mind....

Copy Folio and file plan: There are a lots of folio documents from the land registry. Another set of folio documents with a cover letter from PRA with title "Land Registry Sealed and Certified Copy Folio (& Filed plan).

Planning Permission: There are letters of compliance from CoCo re approval of naming and numbering of scheme, compliance with Part V and financial contributions.

Could those be it?

re Searches: I can see its in the Index but I don't see any document with this title. Can you please let me know what that looks like or what should be the contents of this document? Just incase I'm missing this or the planning permission document, i hope it isn't a big deal and they can be downloaded again from the PRA/Co. council website for a fee?

Copy Folio and file plan: There are a lots of folio documents from the land registry. Another set of folio documents with a cover letter from PRA with title "Land Registry Sealed and Certified Copy Folio (& Filed plan).
If your name is on it, this is the registration document noting your ownership.
Planning Permission: There are letters of compliance from CoCo re approval of naming and numbering of scheme, compliance with Part V and financial contributions.

Could those be it?
The main planning document should exist in the form of a Grant. Don’t worry though, as all these planning documents should be available from the local authority, usually on their website, for free. The Architect's Certificate of Compliance is the important original document that should be held.
re Searches: I can see its in the Index but I don't see any document with this title
These usually are one-pager documents from Search Agencies showing names and addresses of the purchasers and vendors of the property. They show any mortgages, charges, judgements, tax warrants and fines levied against the property/named parties as at the dates of sale.

Last edited:
Many thanks for your reply.

If your name is on it, this is the registration document noting your ownership.

There isn't this document in the folder i collected from the solicitor. However, I downloaded the folio for €5 from the PRA website after paying off the mortgage. I can see our name as owners there and I can see the bank charge cancelled / crossed off. Hope thats ok?

Don’t worry though, as all these planning documents should be available from the local authority, usually on their website, for free. The Architect's Certificate of Compliance is the important original document that should be held.

Yes, Architects Compliance cert is there and its original.

These usually are one-pager documents from Search Agencies showing names and addresses of the purchasers and vendors of the property. They show any mortgages, charges, judgements, tax warrants and fines levied against the property/named parties as at the dates of sale.

I don't see this in the folder. Should I be worried and organise this document. Stupidly, I signed the receipt of this document also!

Thank you.

Hope thats ok?
That’s perfect - copy folio is good.
Should I be worried and organise this document
No need to worry. The searches are really just relevant for closing the sale (to ensure you’re not purchasing for example a liability attached to the property, for example, or buying from an adjudicated bankrupt or liquidated company).

I was just coming to ask a similar question, so am delighted to have found this.

I thought I was going to bank to pick up a document, and instead got a 2" thick folder of documents, with 3 sheets naming the contents, going back to 1937. I think I'll regard the scanning as a retirement project :D

Probably not going to make it any less boring but wouldn't it be much quicker to take a digital photo of each page instead of scanning each one?

Most boring job ever, nearly on a par with the dreaded filing. Set yourself a target of maybe 5 pages a day or you will go off the head retirement or not :(
I agree, can't think of a worse way to spend time! Would a print shop do it I wonder?

Back