Tips for safely selling a bicycle

paper-folder

Hi All, I'm looking for tips on safely selling a bike privately using one of the advertising websites.

My main concern is that they will want a spin on it, and how do I stop them riding off into the sunset? It's different than a car transaction in that I can't accompany them on the bike and there is no log-book so nothing that I can hold to prove ownership.

I appreciate that the majority of prospective purchasers will be as anxious as I am for an honest transaction, but I still don't want to get caught out.

Thanks in advance for any advice or experience of this.

If you don't feel comfortable ask for the cash before they hop on the bike. Have someone else with you ideally

Thanks, but likewise, who would hand over cash for a bike when they haven't tried it? The buyer will be worried that I will be the one who high-tails in that situation.

Given the number of traders masquerading as private sellers on a number of such sites, I’d need more assurance than that, cynic that I am. Buyer wants a spin, cash please.

check your insurance firstly to ensure you are covered if they do take the bike for a ride and crash it. Not sure how you check if they are covered themselves. Secondly you could take them for a pillion ride initially. check their ID also.

check your insurance firstly to ensure you are covered if they do take the bike for a ride and crash it. Not sure how you check if they are covered themselves. Secondly you could take them for a pillion ride initially. check their ID also.
Don't think any potential buyer would appreciate having to give you a 'crossbar' on a test cycle. :D
My main concern is that they will want a spin on it, and how do I stop them riding off into the sunset? It's different than a car transaction in that I can't accompany them on the bike and there is no log-book so nothing that I can hold to prove ownership.

Last edited:
Don't think any potential buyer would appreciate having to give you a 'crossbar' on a test cycle. :D

Well to be fair the title is better with the term 'bicycle' which is why I have changed it. People are more inclined to use the expression 'motor bike'.

People are more inclined to use the expression 'motor bike'.

Exactly !
And nowhere in the OP was that used, I 'bolded' the terms that related to a push cycle within my quote of the OP for clarity,
hence my 'toungue-in-cheek' reply to Peanuts20.

However with your editing it definitely does remove any ambiguity.

Back