Tipperary for a weekend

CMK

I have never been to Tipperary but have heard good things about lots of nice villages to stay in where there are nice walks and countryside to explore. Cahir & Cashel were mentioned! Has anyone got any ideas.
Would just want to go for a weekend - for lots of walks in the countryside, stay in somewhere nice but not majorily expensive within walking distance of pubs and restaurants?

Any replies appreciated greatly!
Thanks

Glen of Aherlow is a lovely area and is a bit of a hidden gem. However, not much to do there if you are not into oudoor stuff. Probably best to base yourself from Cashel or Clonmel. Chez Hans in Cashel is a nice restaurant. Nire valley is also very nice and you can take in Lismore in Waterford as well.

Consider Ballina, Co.Tipperary. It just about qualifies as being in Tipperary as it is the very north of the County. The town is on one side of a bridge over lough derg, Killaloe is on the other side of the bridge. I can highly recommend the Lakeside Hotel ( www.lakesidehotel.ie) as a base. If you can go midweek the hotel runs some great offers. Ballina-Killaloe have lovely restaurants, pubs and cafes, boutiques, a market on sundays and lovely lakeside walks. Plus you are on the verge of beautiful East Clare.

This thread first appeared last week. I answered but the whole thread was closed marked ''wrong forum.'' Not aware of breaking any guidelines. Would appreciate if the Mods told me - perhaps a PM?

Spent a few days in Thurles, hotel out on Dublin Road but wouldn't recommend the town for a break. We always drove away from the town to do anything.

Would recommend Roscrea Castle and Damer House, small enterance fee but gardens are free. Beautiful, if weather nice it is lovely to have picnic there.

A nice drive to Mitchellstown Caves (stop off in Horse and Jockey for nice rest), again small enterance fee but excellent. Have since visited the Dunmore Caves, Kilkenny.

Rock of Cashel, didnt visit as fee very expensive but maybe it would have been worth it.

Cahir castle, well worth a visit, again small enterance fee and lovely river/park beside it with egg shaped rock sculpture.