Tiny primary schools good or bad?

Betsy Og

This came up recently, a school near us has 18 kids in the entire school. 2 teachers. Is this good or bad for a child?

Pro:
Wouldnt expect bullying or "mob" rule.
Arguably better attention from teacher.

Anti:
Lack of friends - given that any age gap when you are that young is an issue.
Teacher teaching 3 or 4 classes - stretched across the classes, child left working on the own (so dont get the attention you'd think).
Lack of preparation for the big bad secondary school.

I think I am pro but admit to knowing very little about it, went to a moderate size primary (by country standards) about 120. I get the feeling that they'll be plenty of time to "grow up" when you hit secondary.

My son goes to a small primary school - there are 80 children in the school and only 6 in 6th Class.

The pros and cons are exactly as you have already outlined:

- more individual attention from the teacher, no bullying at all.

- lack of friends (only two other boys in the class)
- fear of going to large secondary school in September

He has received a really good education in this school and I think if I had to choose again between the other local primary school (with 35 boys in 1 class) and the one he's currently in, I would again go for the smaller school.

Its very dependent on the school and the child.
A friend of mine moved her son from a tiny school because he was so bored with no friends. He was unlucky that there were no boys his age at all.

He is now thriving in a bigger school.

My brother went to a tiny primary school. 20 pupils divided into 2 classes - the biggies and the smallies! The principal taught the "biggies" class.
My bro absolutely loved it. All the pupils were really confident and well-adjusted and equally comfortable talking to older / younger kids and adults.

Also if the child has learning difficulties the larger schools tend to have easier access to the likes of resource/support teachers.

As you say yourself there is for and against the tiny school (as there is for every school). The most important question of all is - can s/he walk there. Think of all the time you will spend in the car if you have to drive your child to school every day. If it's the local school you should have a very good reason to pass it by.

One problem with our local "small" school (34 pupils 2 teachers) is the lack of IT learning - the main reason being lack of help and the need for 1 teacher to teach 3 or 4 different age groups in 1 room.
Also - with small numbers it is very easy to become an "outcast" - just put one foot wrong and you have no friends.

I would prefer small classes rather than small schools - a small school might have more children under the control of 1 teacher than a bigger school. Also - sickness in a small school can play havoc (teacher sickness I mean).

I was a teacher in a 2 teacher national school! I had about 8 children in my class which was made up of junior,senior, first and 2nd classes! I adored them...and they loved me! To be honest the success of any school largely depends on the attitude,values and belief's of the teacher! Class size, school size has nothing to do with it. I am now a researcher in the field and train teachers and may I just say that research would indicate that children learn best in multi age groups. In addition to this it appears that children learn from "more knowledgeable peers" and this would be the ideal setting for this. Usually schools of this nature are quite intimate and family like! I would send my child ...that is ...if I had one!!!

:D

irishlinks said:
One problem with our local "small" school (34 pupils 2 teachers) is the lack of IT learning - the main reason being lack of help and the need for 1 teacher to teach 3 or 4 different age groups in 1 room.
Also - with small numbers it is very easy to become an "outcast" - just put one foot wrong and you have no friends.

I would prefer small classes rather than small schools - a small school might have more children under the control of 1 teacher than a bigger school. Also - sickness in a small school can play havoc (teacher sickness I mean).

I think if you are going to become an "outcast", the size of school won't affect the outcome.

I would actually say that you are less likely to be an "outcast" in a small school - because of the small number of pupils, a teacher will be very quick to spot a child being bullied etc.... and will take measures to rectify the matter.

My brother (the one that went to a tiny national school) now goes to a relatively small secondary school - 20 pupils per class ...2 classes per year....240 pupils in total.

Back