Timing to close sale/redeem mortgage

Brego888

Signing contracts this week on property I'm selling. Planning towards closing date of early July and I've questions about mortgage payment and timing.

My monthly mortgage payment is due on the 7th of every month. Should I be aiming to complete the sale and redeem the mortgage before the 7th of July (i.e 1st - 6th of July) to avoid another monthly mortgage fee?

I assume if I paid the monthly installment on the 7th and then closed a couple of days later that I'm not going to see the installment money be repaid to me?

Makes no difference really. The interest due, or to be refunded along with the payment against the principal will be figured out by the bank in the final redemption figure. So don’t worry about the closing date

Last edited:
Makes no difference really. The interest due, or to be refunded along with the payment against the principal will be figured out by the bank in the final redemption figure. So don’t worry about the closing date
Nice one.
So you reckon if I make the normal monthly payment and close shortly afterwards, the bank should be refunding some of the interest payment for that month in the final redemption figure?
I just don't want to be paying a bank any more interest than I have to if I can avoid it!

Makes no difference, if you overpay they will refund, you only pay interest for the days you have the loan.

Banks charge interest by the day. If you pay the mortgae on the 7th and sell on the 10th then you owe them 3 days interest only. Your problem, if any, will most likely be the buyer and when he actually draws down a mortgage or hands over the payment. Once that happens the solicitor will pay off the bank and take his cut and give you the rest.