Timing Belt - 307

blinkbelle

few questions so bare with me. I checked my manual and it says timing belt to be changed at 96,000 miles. Currently at 85,its a hdi. Ive rang a few peugeot garages and they have quoted me approx 400 for timing belt inc fitting. most of them have also said to me that i may need a water pump at this stage.(another €90)

i usually get my local friendly not so dear mechancic service my car.

Q1. Should i get the belt done now or wait? (car due service anyway)

Q2. Does that price sound right?

Q3.Would I be better to get work done by a main dealer (intend to sell car later in year)

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi Blinkbelle,

I recommend that you get the timing belt changed now, I don't have a 307 but the same rules apply for most cars.

The price sounds ok, I recently got the belt changed in mine (plus the water pump) and it cost me €600.

If your local mechanic can do this job, then let him do it. Main dealer will add a few hundred euro to the price.

If you don't get it changed now and the belt wears down, you could be looking at replacing the engine.

i usually get my local friendly not so dear mechancic service my car

I did this a few months ago on my 3 year old car. I now need a new engine for the car due to some difficulties i had with the engine (which IMO were not caused by mechanic)
But just to say, that the car manufacturers will not assist me financially to replace the engine even though its a relatively newish car as all work done on my car were nixers so i didn't have any vat receipts to prove servicing was officially done...(This is all covered in another thread so no need to reply)

IMO, its worthwhile going to a main dealer to get this done as if something goes wrong, you will have some sort of comeback.

Hi Blinkbelle

Im the the spare parts trade so I see a lot of this kind of thing on a daily basis.

Basically you have a choice

1) Change the timing belt only
2) Change the timing belt plus tensioner and jockey pulley
3) also change the water pump and alternator belt

If you change the belt only then there is a reasonably high chance that within the next 50,000 miles either the tensioner or the jockey pulley will fail. Even with a new belt fitted if either of these 2 fail then you will have the same end result which is a badly damaged engine likely to run into hundreds of euro to put right.

As the water pump is driven by the timing belt on this engine it is recommended to be changed at the same time as the belt because if it fails not only could you overheat (obviously), if the pump siezes then the timing belt can be stripped of its teeth and once again it will take hundreds of euro to put right.

I also mention the alternator belt. Due to the positioning of the alternator belt on this car, if it snaps then it can tangle around the timing belt and thus break everything concerned.

From memory the full timing belt kit including the tensioner and jockey pulley should cost in the region of €110. The water pump should be around €50 and around €15 for the alternator belt. Any local mechanic worth his salt should be able to fit the lot for between €100 - €150 depending where you live.

You really should consider replacing the parts I've mentioned because at the end of the day, they have all done the same mileage as the belt.
But I recommend going to a good local garage and let them do the work, and should be quite a bit cheaper than going to the dealer.

If you need any help tracking down the parts just drop me an email and I'll help you out.

Hope this helps

Snoopy

Buy the Timing Belt Kit & waterpump from the internet. I got mine for my VW GOLF and it cost €80 less than if I got mechanic to order it

If it needs changing, change it and all the ancilliaries too.

Doesn't need to be a main dealer job, but you'll need a receipt to show the work done for the service history.

A snapped belt is bye bye engine.