Timeshare promotional holiday - any danger?

ClickityClic

I've just won a week in Tenerife - it's a promotional holiday, one where they try and sell you timeshare. Has anybody been on one, and how bad is the pressure to buy? Need advise asap as I must give an answer tomorrow.

Re: Promotional holiday -is- it uncomfortable?

Don't do it - at the end of the day they are not bringing you out there for the good of their health.

+ 1 I have never been on one but from what I heard from a neighbour - they had a nightmare experience - certainly no holiday!!

Do you want to buy timeshare ?? If so go on your own trip. If not, dont Go , These people are very intensive commission driven sales people who can get nasty if they realise you are not seriously interested.

Thank you all for your advise. I thought as much but wanted reassurance.

Thread here from boards.ie, if it helps.

[broken link removed]

Last edited:

If you give a few more details someone will probably be able to find out for you which particular catch is involved.

For example, what competition did you enter? If you didn't enter a competition then how have you won a prize? And normally when a person wins a prize they are not just given one day to accept it. It screams of a scam to me.

Are they looking for an "administration fee"? If so, how much?
Have you tried Googling the telephone number you are to phone back on? Or the name of the promoter?

The National Consumer Agency gives a list of the top 10 scams, and in at number two is The Misleading Prize Offer

Here is a thread on competition scams on MoneySavingExpert.com with 28 pages of responses. You could read through some of the pages and see if any bells start ringing.

On several occasions while on holidays I won a transistor radio, Meal Out etc by people selling Time Share. I have gone along to some of the meetings with hands in pockets and offering to drink and eat anything provided.

They are all scams and once they've learned that you are taking the p, they try to get rid of you asap. Of course the transistor and meal out that you have won on the scratchcard turn out to be . . . only if you sign on the dotted line.

I have seen some people getting caught up in the intensive sales talk. Surprising, how gullable some people are! I would not touch a timeshare offer with a 40ft barge pole.

Haven't been on for a few days, so surprised to see the extra posts. I did the comp on travelchanel.co.uk. Was contacted and informed that I would have to pay 127E on arrival, covering transfers etc. I e-mailed them and told them that I wasn't interested in buying and so would not be travelling. They rang back and again tried to persuade me, but when I told them that my husband wouldn't travel with me, they backed off and said that the holiday was for 'couples only'. Strange!!

I spent at least a half an hour listning about how much money i could make from a timeshare rep ,about two years ago,in Tenerife,he said i would win Ryan Air flights if i, went to the hotel across the street,I cant remember the name.So i went, only for to get the flights,no other reason and spent about an hour listening to a guy telling how much money i could make from timeshare,as soon as i got my chance I made my excuses and left.
I had so much trouble trying to find out how and where i could use the voucher for the flights.I Emailed Ryan Air with the voucher number a few times and surprise surprise was told it was an invalid number,not on their system.So never again will i be fooled by a very friendly smiling person trying to sell me anything.

the deal is great as you can swap your weeks for Florida etc.at the same 5 star level

Not speaking from personal experience here .. but I have always thought that this is the downfall of these schemes .. it's marketed that you don't always have to have your same 2 weeks in the same resort each year .. you can "bank" / "swap" or the weeks for different locations/dates - this I can see could be attractive .. but when you actually go to check the availability of alternative locations it seems that it's often very poor and that the promised ocean front 5* resort in Langkawi is never available apart from in the middle of the rainy season etc.

I get an annual invite from the Marriott chain to visit Southern Spain for a approx €125 for a week's stay as part of their holiday club scheme. However when I Google the hotel involved it always has pretty poor reviews so I have never gone. I would definitely leave the credit card at home if tempted.
Clint.

Back