Timeframe (in a perfect world)

B.A.C.

Assuming in a situation with no unforeseen hitches what is the period of time I should expect, as a cash buyer, to purchase a house.

I visit the house and like it. I offer asking price with a condition that it is accepted by close of the next day and subject to an engineers report.
Agent calls me back the next day and says the offer has been accepted and that the following day I can have the engineer inspect the house.
Next day the engineer inspects the house, issues the report two days later. No issues are identified and I decide to proceed.
The following day I instruct my solicitor to proceed with the purchase.

The above (perfect) example is about a week.

Assuming that there are no issues identified and the house is unoccupied and the solicitors and agent do their jobs in a timely manner how long until I am the proud owner of my new home and can put the kettle on?

how long is a piece of string?

If its a new build its how long before its ready for snagging and then snags to be completed, if its buying from a trader upper you could be waiting on them to secure their next house.

there's no real way to estimate.

Its a 'used' property which the current owners have already vacated and no probate issues exist.

then its down to them and their solicitors,

if everyone moves quickly 6-8 weeks should be achievable.

We got our keys in four weeks relatively recently. People have been astonished. This included both surveyor and subsequent engineer report for peace of mind.

Sellers circumstances: house vacant and they live abroad.

Our circumstances: no chain, clean financial processes.

Edited to say both parties' solicitors were efficient. Sounds like your property is similar.

fair play, key is efficiency of solicitor on both sides.

It's not. It's all about the efficiency and good will of all the parties involved.

I regularly have purchasers and vendors acting the maggot. My worst transaction so far this year was a 10 month struggle to wrestle funds from a purchaser. We were getting a terrific price so we weren't about to let them go but we couldn't force matters as my client was not tax compliant and a vendor can't serve a Completion Notice unless they are ready , willing and able to complete. Until the client was tax compliant we couldn't deal with LPT or CGT clearance.

The best was a four week turnaround.

mf

Back