Timeframe for suing a builder?

wishbone

We had an extension done to our house and in short it is poor quality. Roof is leaking since day one, floor tiles cracking etc, we would like to sue our builder as we have already given him a chance to fix it.

Are there timeframes that we must adhere to? ie sue before x years are up? I've searched on the internet but can't find any laws governing this.
Thanks
BB

I think you should talk to your solicitor

Its a long process and as the post siad see a GOOD solicitor. You will be advised to get an engineer to do a detailed report to identify the faults. You will need proof of all the payments you made. In factthe more things you have in writing the better. My builder walked off and it is a nightmare. I had an engineer and he was no good as well. In fact I got stitched up. In the end if I pusue builder it will cost me more money. I got a QS to do a report and estimate the cost of work done to date. This was back in february and he has not got back to me.

Its s**te over here, no honesty or decency, I keep waiting for the crash and then have them knocking on my door. There are a few good ones but like gold dust.

best of luck but watch you dont waste your money.

niah

Get a good solicitor & for sure get a chartered surveyor to inspect the work & write a report - photos etc.The surveyor should cost €350-€450. What part of the country are you in.

Did you have a contract with your builder?

Most standard contracts will have a clause for dispute resolution, usually invovlving concilliation and then arbitration initially, although both are expensive processes.

Depending on the scale of the job I would definitely recommend getting a good local engineer to act on your behalf and assess the damage, or outstanding works and liaise with the builder as it takes any emotion out of it based on the fact that it is your home.

If you are having difficulty getting one, try the IEI.

Hope this is of use

J2K