Time to buy in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vendissimo

With global markets suffering their biggest weekly losses since the crash is it time to consider buying in?

In a word, yes. If you have a long term timeline, won’t lie awake at night worrying and select a basket of strong companies, my sense is that you will do well.

I have been waiting for a pull back on some good companies that I want to add to my portfolio and will do so next week. That said, there will likely be a lot of volatility. I can’t time it but a 10 to 15% discount seems a good long term opportunity.

Just my 2 cents.

I am 100% cash in my pension and 90% in my wifes pension as of Feb 8th. Going with Roubinis assessment and waiting for a re entry point to 60% to 70% equities.

100% cash here having sold out last year. Will buy in maybe next week, will dollar cost average. I usually DCA on a dip, but if the market is strong I just dump it all in

Not wishing to sound like a doomsayer we could be facing unprecedented turmoil and not just in the markets

When will you all ever learn that you cannot time the markets?

I can say with certainty that there will be big gains and big falls.

I have no idea if the market will fall further next week or if it will recover strongly.

In the future, there will be crises, political upheavals and wars. There will be booms and busts.

That is all you know on earth and all you need to know.

And the people who bought your shares also timed the market.

I could assert “the market will recover next week” and I might be right. But it would just be luck.

Getting it right means nothing.

In truth, Daddy, you got lucky and it’s unlikely you timed the bottom. Getting back in will require the same luck.

On the other hand, if you sold because you believed the stocks were overvalued or you want to change your portfolio selection, that might have been good judgement.

Meanwhile, you will need similar luck to jump back in or you’ll simply buy next week because you judge stocks are cheap.

Actually selling out in early Feb I felt strongly that the virus would have a big impact on the markets so for now I timed the top of the market. I lnow I wont time it so well going back in. But this is going to have a huge economic impact as per Nourini so I will watch and wait patiently.

I felt the same but saw no benefit in selling out other than to temporarily make me feel better. The investments are 19 plus years old for the most part with occasional top ups on major pullbacks, the last being late 2018. As I have 10 years to go before I retire, I’ll take the long view. Each to their own with the utmost respect.

It’s my view that not looking at them too often, avoiding impulse and emotion, and getting on with my life helps me sleep better.

Leaving aside the capital appreciation, I’m hoping for a 4% yield to help finance my retirement. I might try to retire early but I worry I might rust.

Given that you’re closer to retirement, it’s understandable that you booked some gains but in the end, you will most likely jump back in.

The Fed or powers that be were in operation on the markets between 8.15pm Irish time and closing bell yesterday. Big swing occurred. Next week Fed will reduce rates which will only temporarily halt the slide in my opinion.

Humpty Dumpty with the fake tan and camel hair cannot afford any market pull back in the year of his re election. He incorrectly judges the performance of the economy on the stock market. Add in a touch of emotional instability and we have all the ingredients for ‘interference’ in the market from Fed stimulation, to leaning on Corps for massive share buy backs, to talking it up.

I read this morning that he’s calling the virus a ‘hoax’. Now that’s scary.

Efforts were made to establish a floor on Friday. Next week and coming weeks will be volatile but the thrust for green will be immense.

But usually we dont know when these big gains and big falls occur.

Now we do know that a big fall occurred last week.

While I have absolutely no idea which way the market will go next week, I do know which way it went last week.

We can definitively say that now is a better time to invest than a week ago. I have no idea if now is a better time to invest than next week, but don't underestimate the advantage of knowing that now is better than last week.

I have no idea if the market will fall further next week or if it will recover strongly.

In the future, there will be crises, political upheavals and wars. There will be booms and busts.

That is all you know on earth and all you need to know.
There is a saying "if we look back at the past we can see glimmers of the future"which might sway the odds of our having a little bit of knowledge of the behaviour of future markets i think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back