Time Management System used by others

censuspro

I'm interested to know how others manage their time and if they have any tips they can share. I'm sure other business owners find it hard to manage and track their time. I use Outlook to document alot of what I need to do. Anyone else have any tips or suggest any literature?

Any "to do" list system is good. The crucial area is to review at the close of day and "carry forward" to the next day the tasks not achieved/completed.

I recommend you read Habit 3 "Putting First things First" of Stephen Covey's "7 Habits of highly effective people" I'm sure its available in your local library.

I found it a very refreshing look at this subject from both a professional and personal standpoint.

He quotes Goethe "Things which matter most should never be at the mercy of things which matter least"

He talks about the four generations of time management and I quote/paraphrase...the core is to organise and execute around priorities.

The first generation could be characterised by notes and checklists...

the second by calenders and appointment books, in an attempt to look ahead...

the third generation adds the important idea of prioritisation, of clarifying values and of comparing the relative worth of activities based on their relationship to those values. In addition it focuses on setting goals-specific long, medium and short term targets towards which time and energy would be directed in harmony with values...Many people have become turned off by time management programs that make them feel too restricted...but

the emerging fourth generation recognises that time management is really a misnomer...the challenge is not to manage time, but to manage ourselves. Rather than focusing on things and time, fourth generation expectation focuses on preserving relationships and accomplishing results.....he recommends assigning your competing activities to a quadrant in this time managment matrix...He suggests most time should be spent on quadrant II activities...

He says most people think their problem is lack of discipline but he believes it is that their real priorities have not been deeply implanted in their hearts and minds.

Your planning tool needs to have flexibility and portability
He proposes the following structure for your [broken link removed]

Very interesting weekly planner Mommah. I might use that! I remember in college the maxim was that failing to plan was planning to fail. I still use it. Having tried various online tools and programs I have reverted to pen and paper, and ticking off my to do list. I set out my goals too, and try to adapt it both to my plans and my personality. I tend to need a lot of variety, so I mix up tasks so I don't get bored. I need to be active, so I mix these in with sit down stuff.

V useful post. Thanks for that.

I don't know if it's still in print, but "How to get Control of your Time and your Life" by Alan Lakein is worth its weight in gold.