Time going backwards Sunday Morning Why

dodo

Fergal Quinn on radio talking about not putting clock back this Weekend but to wait to join up with the French time when they change again.
Benefits to energy cost's ,less death's on the road.
He reckons the UK would save half a billion by doing this alone.
We have an hour a day extra light for the year.
He said the reason the UK did this was because the Scots said that the cows had issues milking using main land Europe time.
We tried it for 3 years before when the Brits done it.

Fergal Quinn on radio talking about not putting clock back this Weekend but to wait to join up with the French time when they change again.

This weekend, we are switching to GMT which is the correct time zone for our longitude. As the meridian passes through France, the correct time for them is also GMT - they are in the wrong time zone because the French dont like doing anything the British do. Ditto for a most of western Europe - Netherlands, Lux, Belgium, Spain and the western part of Germany should also be GMT.

Feargal Quinn on radio ..

Fair dues to the Liveline production team for managing to stretch a whole programme out of this old chestnut. I assume they'll get more mileage oit of it when it's time to switch to 'Summer' time :rolleyes:

It's a wonder he didn't raise it in the Seanad. This is the sort of guff they just love. Liveline/Seanad - two sides of the same coin.

I always thought it was the last Saturday in October, why the change this time?

I always thought it was the last Saturday in October, why the change this time?

There is no change. It was never the last Saturday in October. It was 2.00am on the morning of the last Sunday in October. This Sunday is the last Sunday in October as the following one is the 1st November, hence the apparent early changeover. Next year it falls on 31st October.

Thanks Graham, I always thought it was the last Saturday, forgot it goes into Sunday morning.

The clock change this weekend is a return to GMT. The other side of this 'debate' is the value in adding on an hour for Summer time.

For example, should we stay at GMT +1, and then add another hour for Summer time ? Even more light in the evening ?

Back