Timber worktop

K

karzef

I am about to install a new kitchen in my house. Now we are tempted to select oak timber for the kitchen worktop. Apparently timber worktops are quite delicate this is why I am looking for advice or opinion from people who have or had timber worktop in their kitchen.
How do timber worktops react with water, stains or rough, hot, wet, dirty pots and pans?

Wood is more delicate in terms of getting scratched, but as it's a natural product, it can take a few scrapes without looking ruined. It's higher maintenance - you have to apply a special oil to it a few times a year, depending on how much you use it the worktop. This keeps it waterproof. I've never put a really hot pan down on it so I don'w know how it copes with heat. If you are getting one, keep the off-cuts, sand them and use them as pot rests/ chopping boards. Have to say I think solid wood is worth the extra bit of care.

Im also interested in wood worktops - could you tell me what you have next to the sink ? i.e. would I need a different material such as granite, i'm worried that the water will effect the wood around the sink adn go to look grotty.

Well, I got a Belfast sink with nothing but wood around it - not even a drainer. I haven't had any problems after a year, but then the sink doesn't get that much use; I nearly always use the dishwasher.
The wood seems to stay waterproof as long as you keep it oiled. That said, I'd always dry around the sink when I'm finished rather than leave spilled water to stand on it.

I ahve to agree with Drew on all points. We have a beech worktop which is a softer wood than oak. Has to be oiled a few times a year and you have to be carful with hot things, but this comes second nature after a while, but it is well worth the extra bit of graft - looks far better than any other worktop I think - very warm looking.

Just to add a note on the oiling. All that is needed is to give the worktop a good clean, maybe a slight rub with sandpaper and then just rub in some oil with a clean cloth. Basically you are just rubbing on a light film of oil and leave it to dry overnight. Had a lovely iroko worktop in the last house , but we moved...

Have one a few years now we put an oil base protecter over the wood which stopped water going to the wood, even still around the sink can become abit wet looking but you could use mosaic tiles around that small area , wood looks great

We are looking for a reasonably priced wooden worktop supplier - preferably beech - does anyone have any recommendations? Ta!

Try Woodworkers, they have solid beech worktops in a range of sizes from €190. They will also supply the oil and give you plenty of advice on maintenance.

Thanks for that Leo! I also discovered Newman's Panelling Centre in Drumcondra, but Woodworkers seem more reasonably priced...

Woodworkers' site mentions Trip Trap oil for maintaining worktops. I can't find that locally - can someone tell me if Rustin's Danish Oil does the same job?

P.S. bought from the woodworkers site and found the way they dealt with my order being mislaid by the couriers very impressive - they replaced without quibble