Timber framed or concrete?

ellamac

We are hopefully building our house in September but a deep argument has arisen between myself and hubbie! I want timber frame, as it's quicker to erect and will work in conjunction with our solar panels and wood pellet stove but 'he who must be obeyed' wants brick and concrete as it's 'more secure'! Any advice please before we head for the divorce courts?

The time it takes to erect should not be a factor. Just imagine, you opt for the timerframe house, then a couple of months later think, I should have waited a bit longer for a brick house.

When the property markets turns sour, people will be VERY picky when buying houses instead of the panic buying nowadays.

Timber frame is the only way to go....I bought and lived in one for 4 years and then sold it and built a new timber frame which i have just moved into .....very happy with it and the way its always warm and so easy to heat....Concrete build is not better built..(You can see they are worried when they have to advertise this on lorries).old fasion tech. thats just not as efficient as a newer tech..

... But you would (no pun) say that wouldn't you. I can't really see anybody saying that they would prefer timber if they had concrete or vice versa.

I think that timber frame is the way forward, as most construction companies are now building in timber frame as it's quicker but more importantly if you are going with sustainable energy heating, all companies advise that it should be timber frame if new build to retain heat etc. I agree that in the past it was always brick & mortar but you now see adverts on tv for concrete and brick etc, which shows that alot of new building must be going timber frame? I have a feeling I might win this argument with the hubbie!

Hi Ellamac,

Myself and my fiancee are currently doing a self build and decided to go with timber frame, not for the speed of construction but as you have said for the improved heat retention qualities of timber frame. I have not lived in a timber fame house b4 but did a lot of research befor decided on which method to use. As we deceided to go with a wood pellet boiler system and a Heat recovery Ventilation System we decided that Timber frame would be the only option.

No matter what type you use it comes down to the quality of the job that is done that is most important factor. A lot of developers are building timber frame because of the speed of construction but are not building to the highest standards which is why some poorly constucted timber frame houses are branded noisy etc.

Good luck with your project. We are currently at the plastering stage so we are making reasonable progress. One piece of advise I would give is not to assume there will not be headaches along the way as no matter how much time and planning you put in there are always things that go wrong, are overlooked or just blatently done wrong so a calm head and lots are patience are essential.

Lastbuilders

Ellamac

lastbuilders just reinforced my theory here. Their is a lot of cowboys doing wood frame at the moment. So thats why we are staying away from that at the moment and we are more veering for the blocks and mortar.

Wood does not last forever - blocks do. I never saw a stone decay! whereas we have all seen wood decay. I know you can protection etc. I would invest in getting a vaccum in the house find out where the holes are fill them up. do that and garantee you the house will not be cold.

"I have a feeling I might win this argument with the hubbie!" oooh its about winning!! Whether wood or blocks is the correct answer. Their is no correct answer. Its a fierce grey area if you must ask me.

Sorry to piggyback but what do you mean Kildarebuild by a vacuum as my own house is losing heat from somewhere.

You get a vaccum inside the house when all electrics, plumbing, windows. best to do this before furniture is moved in. Make sure all doors are open. turn on the vaccum which will suck in all the air inside the house and deposit it outside.

When this happens you will hear whistling sounds. find the source of those noises they are holes - block them up if possible. Good way of minimising heat loss from the house. Could be a draught coming in from under the door or corner of window etc.

can be naturally blocked up if so desired. ventilation vents are usually in the kitchen, chimney rooms and bathrooms. block from the outside is best. you may still hear some whistling from them. just ignore them and move on to the whistling source.

regards kildarebuild

Thanks KB. For me, I have always lived in a brick house and will probably keep it that way. Just seems to me that timber frames houses are built to keep costs down and development costs down also. They make similar arguments about GM crops. Brikkies get paid a fortune these days can understand developers wishing to maximize their profits. Maybe get independant advice from an Architech, Quantity Suveyor or even an Estate agent.

When the property markets turns sour, You mean If it turns sour

kildarebuild said:
... Wood does not last forever - blocks do. I never saw a stone decay! whereas we have all seen wood decay....
Just remember, Timberframe is exactly that. The frame is timber but the outside is bricks and mortar. The timber is not exposed to the elements. The only time I think I not prefer a timber frame house would be a semi-d, due to the noise from next door.
KK

dodo said:
When the property markets turns sour, You mean If it turns sour
Sour meaning the property market turns into a buyers market. It will turn into a buyers market soon.

Hi Ellamac,

There is also another alternative to TF and That is a Kingspan TEK house. It is made of SIP (Structural Insulated Panels). Do a search on SIP here or on the web and you will get more info. I am going with this type of house. Not knocking bricks and mortar to me it is a personal choice. Just some thoughts.
The vacuum test is called a blower door test. A crowd from Dublin do it. This is really good if you are building an air tight house like the SIP house. Probably still worth doing in a block house also. With a block house there are vents installed which allows cold air to get in to the house and you cannot control this. With a SIP house you must put in a ventilation system. You can put in a Mech Vent. Heat recovery system which will save money. This controls the air fed into the house and recovers the heat from the air being expelled from the house. This way you control your heating.
SIP houses are structurally sound I am putting a 4 inch cavity wall around the house with a 50 mm gap that will no doubt protect the house.

We live in a timber frame hosue the last 4 years and are moving now because it is too warm/stuffy and no air in the house, despite have loads of vents and leaving windows open. Having lived in one I would never buy a timber from house again. They expand and contract also with heat/cold and doors stick, house makes cracking noise etc. If you ask me, stick with the concrete as timber frame technology in Ireland is new and not tried and tested. The timber frame houses being built now will not be standing in 100 years time but the concrete ones will.

Hi and thanks for all replies. I'm now really in two minds so will have to do more research. I actually believe there is no real financial difference between the two but yes, speed was my main concern!
Lastbuild - might try to link up with you to see who you used?
AJL - thanks for advice on Kingspan and will do more research!