Timber Framed Homes - wall cavity ventilators

P

poyntz30

Hi

I'm in the process of buying a tmber framed home. I've had my survey done and in it it states that no wall cavity ventilators /weepholes or roof ventilation is evident but the moisture readings were normal so no damp evident. Surely ventilation must be in place for a timber framed house. Any suggestions? Aren't these required by building regulations? Anyone with any advice is appreciated.

thanks

AFAIK, cavity ventilators are required to vent the cavity between the outer cladding (Block) and the inner leaf timber frame.... this is usually a requirement thats demanded by the insurers of the system ie HOMEBOND or Premier.......

roof ventilation id definately required by the building regs... weepholes are generally accepted as best practise...

I am going through the exact same situation. New house handed over for snagging and engineer said that we would not get our premier guarantee as there are no wall vents. Bank will not release monies until they have this so we are waiting for builder to comply.

DTB - my house is second hand (3yrs old) so surely when the vendors did their snag list this would have showed up otherwise they would not have got a guarantee? This is puzzling, waiting for the vendors solicitors to get back to me with a certificate of compliance but solicitors take forever to act on anything waiting nearly 2wks now for a reply

poyntz...
The snag list is generally a comment on finishes and not on meeting regulations,.. thats what the cert of compliance is for...

did you get a structural report done on the building yet?? this report should have called up the lack of cavity vents.... if i were you i would arrange with your solicitor to reduce your offer to purchase by the amount it would cost to install these vents... probably in the region of €1K....

(EDIT. oops, on reading your first post i see you obviously have gotten a report done...)

eventually got my certificate of compliance which states ther the relevant works conform with the Building Regulations made pursuant to the Building Control Act 1990. Does anyone have a copy or now where i can get one of this Act to see if it covers wall cavity ventilators?

Cheers!!

The cert should be pursuant to the BC Bill of 1990 and every statutory instrument after....

it should state on the cert that the work is in compliance with 'current building regulations'.... and the related Technicial Guidance Documents.... and ventilation is one of them... Section 2 deals with roof ventilation...
http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad,1647,en.pdf
see page 11....

regarding the wall vents.... i have a feeling that they are covered under the 'Structure' TGD A....
i just found this:
1.3.8 Recommendations on Current Practice and Procedures:
R.3.1. Where a timber frame manufacturer is proposing a departure from the standard open panel, platform frame method of construction they should be required to support their proposed form of construction by providing appropriate third party certification, Agrément Certificate.
R.3.2. The ventilated and drained cavity is an essential feature for timber frame construction in Ireland. TGD C (Site Preparation and Moisture Resistance) should call up suitable reference material e.g. proposed “Timber Frame Code of Practice” (see recommendation R.4.2 below).
R.3.3. Subject to R.3.4. all solid timber members in the external walls or ventilated and drained cavities of timber frame houses and apartments should be subjected to a preservative treatment as specified in British and European Standards. These standards should be listed in TGD C (Site Preparation and Moisture Resistance) and TGD D (Materials and Workmanship). TGDs should also include reference to the proposed Timber Frame Code of Practice (see recommendation R.4.2 below).

from here:
http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad,1669,en.pdf