Timber Frame & Insulation

Zutz

Hoping to start on a timberframe home in the coming months. With regard to insulation I am thinking of the following and was wondering is there any alternatives etc.

External Walls: 150 mm fiberglass
Internal Walls: 100 mm rockwool
Roof space: 300 mm fiberglass
Between joists: 200 mm rockwool

I am working on the assumption that rockwool will provide greater acoustic insulation and comparable thermal insulation to fiberglass.

Any advice welcome

I've had this debate with Moy Isover in the past, who claim that the benefits of using the Rockwool (competitor) product over their glass fibre product are minimal considering the cost differential and payback time for using the more expensive Rockwool product. Moy Isover do an Acoustic Roll which has good acoustic properties (naturally) and will also meet your heat insulation requirements.

Any concerns about the sturdyness of the walls? I've heard some complaints from others with timberframe homes - that it's just not as easy to hang heavy objects by drilling into block walls - where as in timberframe you are drilling into partitions and thus it's not as sturdy. Thoughts?

You need to incorporate timber (plywood, mdf or rough sawn) grounds anywhere you may suspect you'll need to hang/ fix heavy objects or fixtures.

You need to incorporate timber (plywood, mdf or rough sawn) grounds anywhere you may suspect you'll need to hang/ fix heavy objects or fixtures.

Alternatively you can use Fermacell boards as an alternative to gypsum slabs. I'm lead to believe they are considerably better. Richmond supply them in this country.

www.fermacell.co.uk should give you an idea of what it is.

I got the opportunity to see it at a trade show recently and knocking it feels a whole lot more like knocking a block wall.

Plus it is supposed to be completely load bearing so you drill a whole wherever you want and hang your shelf\picture ...

Downside is its quite heavy so it takes longer to put up resulting in more labour costs and it ain't cheap.

Fermacell boards would be great for use where you plan to hang a lot of pictures etc, but if you want to fix kitchen units, cupboards etc you need solid timber grounds.

Does anybody know what concrete boards are. they were suggested as an alternative to concrete blocks for the exterior of a timber-frame build. Can't find anything on the web

Cement board I presume, it's a cement based cladding. Take a look at this site for details.
Leo