timber frame houses

P

poorbob

Hi Folks
I am about to build a new house and it has been suggested to me that I might build a timber frame house.I would be grateful for any thoughts on timber frame versus a conventional block build.Timber frame quotes seem a bit cheaper, thanks.

I dont live in a timber frame house ,however a lad at work had one built and rants all the time about it.The main advantages seem to be speed of build, insulating values, roof and windows on earlier than normal build closes off the property and the cost. He reckons more than 50% of builds in Scotland are timber frame and that we are just slow to catch on.Maybe thats why the concrete companies are advertising concrete built is better built.I must say he has a beautiful home, but and call me old fashioned but I cant get that story of those three pigs and where they ended up living out of my head:).Hope i didnt cause any confusion

We are renting a timber frame house now, but have lived in a concrete house for most of our lives. The timber frame house is definitely warmer to live in. The only disadvantage is that it is noiser, you can hear verything through each room, televisions, conversation etc, but I believe you can have them insulated acoustically which I would highly recoemmend

Have a read of my blog lad, enough insulation in all the walls, roof space, double ply or plasterboard the main "noise making walls",

They are seriously warm for sure, cant say that they are cheaper, depends on the shape of the house.

I'm currently building a timber-frame home. The kit should be arriving in 2 weeks. My brother built one last year and his house is toasty. His thermostat was at around 18-19 degrees for most of the winter and they were walking around the house in t-shirts! He has a wood-pellet boiler too so it seems fairly efficient.

I'm getting my timber-frame from IJM. They have an optional extra called "open house" which they say helps reduce sound transmission. For my house it works out around 700 euro extra which seems ok, if it works!

As for economy, when you get quotes for a timber-frame kit you think it seems cheaper. I'm told that in the end they work out similar in cost to concrete houses. I'll let you know when my house is built!

Back