Timber Frame Costs

Highlander

Looking at buying/building in the reasonably near future....well, future near enough that its time for me to do some serious thinking now! If I decide to build, I'd be very interested in going down the Timber Frame route. But, nobody seems to be able to give any idea what kinda money it'll cost.

I have looked at the century.ie and gotten some of their quick quotes, which give the cost for them to manufacture, deliver and erect a house. I've narrowed it down to three styles of house I'd like and they have quotes from Century between Euro30,000 and Euro42,000 ex VAT.

But, I can't seem to find anywhere, what to expect the remainder of the house to cost. i.e. foundations, windows/doors, roof tiles, electrical/plumbing etc. The only suggestion I got was to add roughly the price of the timber frame shell again....but, I think this was a guess.

I intend to ring century obviously and see do they have any guidelines. Just wondering if anybody has been down this road before and would have an idea what kind of price tag I can expect?

Thanks

Just started building a timber frame house myself. Im using a builder and not the self build method but prices might give you a rough guide...
Timber frame-Century homes, raft foundation, story and a half house of 2260sq ft......Builders price 150,500
Unattached garage ..25,000..
Raft foundation cost around 10,000 extra
Got private quote from century befoer going with builder and quote was 45k......so I would say price of finish house(ready for decoration, kitchen etc,) would be 3.5 times price of timber frame.

just about finished a timber build using a builder, for everything except the well and pump it cost just over €150K. Couldn't recommend builder highly enough, so efficent and quick. Wolohan Timber Homes based in Roundwood, Co Wicklow.

npgallag said:
Just started building a timber frame house myself. Im using a builder and not the self build method but prices might give you a rough guide...
Timber frame-Century homes, raft foundation, story and a half house of 2260sq ft......Builders price 150,500
Unattached garage ..25,000..
Raft foundation cost around 10,000 extra
Got private quote from century befoer going with builder and quote was 45k......so I would say price of finish house(ready for decoration, kitchen etc,) would be 3.5 times price of timber frame.

Was that 45K ex VAT? I presume Century put up the shell and your builder finished it out?

Also, did you find it hard to get a builder? I've read somewhere its important to get a builder who knows what they're doing, i.e. has experience with timber frame?

Griffner Coilte were quoting 95 euro/square foot semi finished and 125 finished ... if that's any use to you.

The 45k was including vat and insulation , as far as i can rem, but not including erection....this was another 9k if done by Century homes guys. Will dig up quote and post exact figures. Got quotes from 3 companies actually, Century, IJM and Clarks, and Century the dearest but builder preferred them....
Found it very hard to get a builder..... got PP in Feb 2004 and only broke ground 2 weeks ago. 2 reasons fro this, 1. 40-50% of builders would not build timber frame, 2. End of Rural renewal scheme..every builder had another 5-10 jobs he could do instead of mine which were probably handier due to mine requiring raft foundations.

Quick question which probably shows my ignorance of the construction process. I currently live in a timber frame house whihc is fine for heat
insulation etc.,.
I am in the process of building another house which I hope to reside in
The house will be a 2 storey approx 2,200-2,500 in size.
Is it possible to have a concrete slab between the first floor and the second
floor with the timber frame process.

The most annoying thing about our current house is that with a timber
partition you hear any noise on the floorboards.

Thanks in advance for any feedback

Back