Timber frame company recommedations

cowboy

Hi

Looking to build a new house in the next few months and going to go timber frame for heat.

I have my quotes and am looking for information from people who have used the companies.

Dempsey Timber Engineering in Wicklow have given a good price and I was wondering if anybody has used them and how the workmanship rated. Searched about and didnt find any information. All opinions appreciated.

Saw this crowd on " About the House " on RTE one night. Look like a very professional outfit.
I recently used " Wexford Timber Frame House " http://www.timberframe.ie/
Competitive price and good to deal with.
Apart from a few little problems I was happy with there service

Thanks for the replies. Any tips on the insulation you guys put in? Im looking at rockwool as from reports its best for sound insuation. Would it be worth looking into 150mm studs internaly and what would this add to the cost of the frame?
Thanks for responses.

I guess that you are thinking for sound reduction.
Teenagers in the house? Sound system?

You will do fine with 4" frame on internal walls and use the money elsewhere on sound reduction according to your needs
Sound reduction is better achieved by using other materials along with rockwool
Instead of a 6" frame & filling up the cavity with rockwool, use a 4" frame and two 13cm sheets each side and using materials to reduce vibration in between.
If you want to cancel out low freq thumping bass it takes more effort.
Sound passes through rockwool but it reduces the vibration.
Check out audio reduction sites, home cinema construction etc. Hotel room insul standards
Sound reduction const is according to needs, and needs differ around the house.
Then you can also think to place storage, wardrobes, book shelves on the walls affected.
I hope that helps

We put in hemp for heat insulation with a vapour barrier and HRV system. For sound we put in wood fibre between floors and in walls. We have oak flooring upstais which is nail fixed and the impact sound of this is a bit annoying when people moving around upstairs. This is not only a timber frame issue I know as can happen in block and brick house too. We put a sound reduction sheet beow the floor before fixing also.

There are other systems to reduce impact sound which are available but we didn't have option to put them into our build.

Lastbuilders

Thanks for the replies.

Was speaking to a builder who recommended Kingspan type insulation but would this reduce the soundproofing of the walls?

99% of builders are in no position to recommend anything to do with insulation. Alot of the time their recommendations are based on less grief for themselves. Having said that, site fitting of rigid insulation into a timber frame structure is a huge amount of grief. Thats assuming it's done correctly! Was he recommending you get it factory fitted?

Talk to your engineer. If he's not interested then get onto a BER accessor.

Anyone know a good BER assesor in the south east? Was thinking of going this route anyway.

A 4" frame single sheeted both sides empty cavity reduces sound by about 35 db, doubling the sheets both sides gives you another 4 db reduction
Filling in the cavity with rockwool gives you about another 4 db reduction.
Your question earlier was about 6" framing, if you have that and fill the cavity with rockwool, you would gain maybe an extra 1db reduction over what you would get with using the 4" frame. A small reduction which is not worth the expense, extra work and extra assoc hassle with the design.
You might consider peace and quiet to be about 35 - 40db in your room. If in the neighboring room the noise levels are caused by a vacuum cleaner or hair dryer (about 70db) then the goal is to reduce the sound transfer by 30 to 35 db.
This is achievable without going to any great lengths.
Then the noise will just be minimized to coming through the door and fittings.

If the noise is coming from a home theatre then the sound levels created are 80 - 90 db then you would desire to reduce the sound coming through by 40 to 50db

try out TMB timberframe in Thurles: 0504 90465.
no connectio, just got frame put up last week. i am delighted with result. they were/are very helpful and willing to accommodate whatever notions i have: before you go to timberframe company have your homework done in terms of the spec you want, they aree not necessarily experts on te newer technologies

Hi Cowboy,

I'm looking at the option of timber frame as well. Just curious to see if you got several quotes and how much they varied by ? I dont want to know the names of the companies, just the bracket of the quotes.

Also, did you get any quotes for block build ?

Thanks,

Brian

hi chopper,

got several quotes so far. prices for frame and erection varied.

36000 inc vat to 51000+

hard to know why the variance. while price matters i would spend extra for good quality recommended by others. got prices for block build full construction from 266000 to 400000 for a turnkey finish (this guy said take about 20000 off if going timber frame). house is 3000 sq ft. going to go direct labour.
hope this helps

Back