timber flooring in kitchen

mainie

Just wondering if anyone has experience of having semi solid timber flooring in a kitchen? I've read online that it should be ok as most floors now have a urethane finish which is more resitant to liquids and scratches.

Also, we're flooring a new house and the skirting boards are already in so it seems like it could ruin the plaster if we try to take them off. I think beading is the way to go to resolve this. Any suggestions?

We've solid wooden floors in the kitchen which were prefinished before laying, urethane or varnish I don't know, and never had any problems despite the odd spill and a leaky washing machine (only leaking mind you, not a full flood). House insurance covers any damage by water so why not lay a wooden floor in the kitchen?

All floors get marked cant be helped, we have solid wood in the kitchen no problems,

Good to hear, thanks for the replies!
Do you know if semi solid is any different to solid in terms of spillages or marks? I mean is it more or less likely to stain or warp?

We inherited semi solid floor in the kitchen from the previous owner. It looks awful with dark stains here and there. I don’t like semi solid floor and planning to change it with tiles just under the kitchen elements and solid wood floor in the rest of the room. That’s just my experience.

Don't see why semi-solid should stain any easier that solid as the top surface is the same, both will stain when the urethane/varnish wears off, which it will do if you drag furniture such as a baby's high chair around the same spot regularly - just refinish it. From what I remember semi-solid is also called "engineered" as its actually several layers of wood glued together with only the top layer being high quality oak or whatever. They're even less likely to warp than solid floors. Don't think anyone could tell semi-solid from solid by looking at it when laid, I'd be just as happy with semi as with solid.

Yes, we were looking at getting solid wood but have been told by friends that it moves and warps and that semi solid stays put which is why we decided to go for it. It looks exactly the same as solid when laid, especially when you're choosing wide plank variety.

I guess if we take care of it and maybe even get some kind of mats to put in front of sink, cooker etc. it should be ok.

Back