Timber flooring in kitchen

mainie

I'm thinking of flooring the whole downstairs area of my new house in timber but am just wondering if anyone has experience of flooring their kitchen in timber? I'm slightly worried that a leak would destroy it but also wondering if I would need to match my floor to my kitchen units?

Anyone have any experience of this?

We put in timber flooring in all rooms downstairs including the kitchen, as we have open plan layout. Other than the odd spills we've had no major leak. Did get several comments from builders about the boards warping if there was a major leak - but nothing so far. We matched (close) the work surface of the counters to the flooring.

Eoin

Friends used Karndean ([broken link removed]). Were able to get a nice Timber effect and also tile effect.

I had discussed this with other people Eoin and they say that todays washing machines rarely leak so I don't think its a major worry. My counter tops will not be wood so I can't match them but I think we may go with a contrasting floor rather than trying to match the floor to the cabinets

I have a tiled kitchen floor and find that find that the floor at the front of the cooker takes a bit of a beating from small fat splashes and spills and would be concerned about how
a wooden floor would survive a few years of that. Does anyone with a wooden floor in the kitchen have a problem with this ?

(Maybe I just need to be a cleaner cook !!!!!)

I had a look online and it seems that if the floor has a urethane finish then it should be able to handel the wear and tear better. Gonna ask about it in the flooring places. Speaking of which, any recommendations for where to buy reasonably priced semi solid flooring? Looking for french oak I think

Back