Timber fence on wall

johnd

We have a 6ft rear back wall and want to put a timber fence on top for added privacy and also to grow climbers. Is this an easy DIY job or would it be better to employ someone to do it, the wall is about 30ft long. I know gardens centres and Woodies etc do timber fencing but any other source suggestions would be appreciated. Many thanks

Would you not need planning when you go over 7 feet. It would be an easy job if the wall is solid (won't crumble if you drill into it), you have the equipment and know what your doing.

Sorry for Key Post usage, my mistake. Thank you for your replies.

Easy job. If your handy with a drill. Most important thing is the bolts you use to anchor it done. Metpost do a product for holding timber posts onto Wall/Concrete. Just bolt it down put in post attach panel whatever size you want and bobs your uncle. Just be not to go too high i'd be only saying about a 6 x 1 or at most 2ft onto wall.

Have you thought about putting a solid small square trellis on top instead, would be easier to put up if there are neighbours nearby then they are less likely to complain about trellis that will give you privacy yet will allow light through