tilt and turn or casement windows?

carefree

Just about to place my order for windows and want to know which windows will look best and be the best price. Is it the tilt and turn type or the casement type? I'm not gone on the tilt and turn but they suit the regs more apparently. anyone any advice of which to go for or which look better.......

Don't get me started on windows...personally I detest tilt and turn. We installed casement windows in our build and I think they look fab. We went for the 'french casement' (think that's the correct term) but basically window works like french doors, both sides open with no divider in the centre (am I making sense?!) I suppose it depends on the type of house you are building....I know that had we left the centre post in the window they would have been cheaper but overall I'm not sure if there is much difference in price between tilt & turn and casement (in our case anyway). I think main difference is overall look and general bulkiness of window.....

I am of the same opinion and thought about the french door type - but are you left with a big slab of PVC in the middle and do you compromise the uvalue? We have many windows with 800 opes and top openers but have been told that if they are casement they must be top hung with no top openers. Are top openers essential?

The only advantage of tilt & turn is the ease of cleaning the outside - not much of an advantage if you live in a bungalow.

We went with timber frame windows, and opted to have no timber post in the centre (I assume the same goes for PVC? unless strength of PVC is a factor). I believe that the cost for this was an extra €90 per window :eek: but worth it (in my mind anyway)....With our windows we are able to reach the outside to clean as when the window opens the inner edge travels across the frame allowing you access to both sides of the window...snazzy...!!! No compromise on U valu..why would there be...I assume this would be dependant on quality of windows?? Are top openers essential?? Me thinks not...in fact I think they ruin a perfectly nice window!!
Also a friend of mine installed Tilt & Turn and when the window tilts in, it pushes against against the blind ruining the overall look of the blinds...which are vile anyway...this could be more a problem with the blinds than tilt and turn windows tho...no thought went into the installation it would seem....

If you have downstairs bedrooms , or want to ventilate at night , tilt and turn are ideal , cats etc cant get in .
pjq

Note that with tilt and turn windows that they tilt in and usually only the centre pane. This means for example that you have to get 3 separate blinds for a 3 pane window.

Found this out to my cost when I bought a second hand house with this window type.

Tilt and turn windows are more of a mainland european style of window. There they tend to have either manual or electric storm blinds on the outside of the window and so don't use the type of internal blinds that we use. They also don't tend to have window boards inside to collect stuff on, so there isn't generally an issue opening the window inwrads and knocking something over.

AndyH
[broken link removed]

Note that with tilt and turn windows that they tilt in and usually only the centre pane. This means for example that you have to get 3 separate blinds for a 3 pane window.

yes, and the centre pane in ours is a large pane, so if you want to open the window a small bit to let air in, the actual space that is open is quite big, if you see what I mean. I dislike them and we are considering getting rid of them when we can afford to.

We have installed tilt and turn windows in our new build, and immediately regretted it. Not even near moving in stage and i'd love to get rid! But can anyone who has them advise on blinds and curtains?? Maybe if i can get over that problem i won't dislike them so much...

Bobbins,
I am currently looking for a supplier to quote for French style wooden windows that sound very similar to yours. Would you mind providing the name of your supplier?

Thanks a million
Pudzer

Bobbins,
I am currently looking for a supplier to quote for French style wooden windows that sound very similar to yours. Would you mind providing the name of your supplier?

Thanks a million
Pudzer

Hi Pudzer,

We got our windows from a company called Vrogum. www.vrogum.dk I'm in Cork and the distributor here is Tony O'Shea, who is absolutely great to deal with. No pressure and gave good advice. I have pm'd you his number. I know there is someone in Galway that deals with Vrogum also if that's any closer to you....!

Best of luck,
Bobbins.

(No affiliation other than a satisfied customer)

Back