Tiling - Tiler Charging More than Quoted

just give him a cheque for the ammount quoted and close the door on him

6 Days? My goodness, he sounds like a slow worker. I had 30 sq metres of kitchen/utility/hallway all floored with tiles over the course of a little over a day's work (11:00 - 17:30 thursday to 8:00 - 14:00 friday). That cost me €670 incl. all materials except tiles. He is coming back to to do 3 sq metres of splashback for €150 as well, at some point!

indeed. i got 4.5 sq metre of splashback done recently for 200. if he was using extra adhesive etc he shud have informed u b4 job was done. a tiler on his own would tile a kitchen floor in 1.5 days and a splash back in 1 day or less. the fact is that ur not happy anyway, get him back to take up the loose ones and fix them./ if he does not fix them then dont pay him anything!!!

He didn't have to use extra because I was originally going to put half my kitchen floor tiled and the other half wood. When I got a carpenter he said the ground was grand and level.

He didn't have to use extra because I was originally going to put half my kitchen floor tiled and the other half wood. When I got a carpenter he said the ground was grand and level.
Even if it wasn't level he gave a price having done his "site survey". He sounds like a right chancer.

BTW to level an uneven floor before tiling etc, there is this wonderful stuff called "self-levelling compound" that none of the so-called tradesmen I have had the misfortune to encounter recently seem to have heard of. It does exactly what it says on the tin and could have saved your poor tiler all that effort with the very expensive adhesive.

Get him to fix up what sounds like a real Hail Mary job, hand him his hat and his cheque (get a detailed signed receipt on headed paper) and suggest that he gallop out of town.

mathepac. you are right about the self levelling compound. i recently talked to a tiler that used 60 bags of adhesive to tile a house!!!!!! can u believe that. compound would have done the job for 100 euro.

Hi All,

The tiler still didn't finish the tiling yesterday so suppose to be finishing it up today because he told me he be finished at around 1 and for me to call up to pay him them. I have decided I am just going to pay him the price he originally quoted. Just wondering if he is still adamant and not co-operative and demanding the money what do I do? He was getting cheeky yesterday and smart with me so I don't think he will take it too well..........

If you have a brother or any friends who might be a shade bigger than the Tiler, have them present. Then pay him and let your buddy open the door for him. Alternatively tell him to take you to court -- simple as that.

This guy sounds like an absolute cowboy.
How did you get his name. He was hardly recommended. If he is advertising in local press i would give them a call and bring him to their attention. Job should have taken co more than two days depending on patterns, cuts. Can get 20kg evostick non flex adhesive for €10 a bag. * bags should have done it. And maybe €30 for grout, depending on mm gap. As for the tiles lifting, this should never happen. If i were you i would go around to each tile and knock on it with your knuckles to search for hollows as a precaution. Take photos of dodgy workmanship. Ask him where he qualified. A bit late now i know but this guy needs the wind taken out of his sales.

He was recommended by a friend who had seen his tiling in a show house. They now say they will def not be recommending him anymore.

I can't help thinking that this is an awful lot of hassle for the sake of €300. Was there no possibility of meeting his demands half-way and/or agreeing a "quid pro quo" where he gets his €300 extra IF he complies with some additional conditions that you specify, eg that he leaves a tidy job, gives you a few spare tiles in case of later breakages etc.

I tried the meeting him half way and he wasn't having it. I bought the tiles myself so I will be keeping them anyway. €400 extra is alot to me with a new house and trying to getting everything else thats needed.

suzy. ur getting no where fast here. just tell him he is not getting the full amount. get a man to call him , do u have a brother or a neighbour. my sister had same problem recently with getting deposit back on house that fell thru. he wudnt give it back until i rang him. some people think they can bully women

Sylvester3 - if you are in Dublin do you have contact details for the tiler you used?

Hi 900TS, I've PM'd you anyway, but I thought I would let everyone else know as well. We are in Cork and I used a tiler called Roland whose details I found on this site. His mobile number is 087 9781569. He is fast, efficient, tidy and charges reasonably. I was very pleased with the result.