Tiling Questions

Ballyman

Recently moved into a new house (second hand but new to me:)) and I want to do a little decorating and I have a few questions before I begin.
The house is a timber framed, 3 bed semi-d so all the internal walls are timber framed! Firstly I want to completely tile the ensuite bathroom upstairs and the visitors
toilet downstairs as they both currently have laminate tiber floors and painted walls. My questions are:
1. Is there any problem tiling timber walls? I mean is there any possibility of the weight of the tiles affecting the walls? Stupid q I know but I wanted to check!
2. I want to raise the toilet bowl and tile under it as it looks shabby tiling up to it. When I'm putting the bowl back down, how easy is it to crack the tiles when drilling for a screw hole? Do I need to silicone around the base of the bowl joining the tiles??
3. I will have to drill a lot of holes in the tiles on the walls for mirror, roll disenser etc. How do I do this without cracking the tiles?? Will a metal drill bit do the job??
4. In the shower area, do I have to use a special grout/adhesive as it will be wet. Also, how long should you wait when finished before using the shower again?
5. Any other info that you think may be useful to me
Thanks for any help you can give me.

Hi Ballyman,

1. No, will be fine as long as the walls are sound now.

2. Yes, use silicone to seal around the base of the bowl.

2&3: Shouldn't cause cracks if you take your time, and drill at a low speed. It might be worth while buying special [broken link removed] or [broken link removed] drill bits, otherwise use a masonry bit. Cover the spot to be drilled with a piece of masking tape to help prevent the bit wandering.

4: The adhesive should be water proof or resistant, this should be stated on the label, as will advice on drying times before using the shower.

5: Plenty of advice in previous threads.
Leo

Thanks leo. I just wanted to put my mind at ease. I think I'll invest in a few of those drill bits also.
Cheers

When tiling the walls ensure the adhesive is flexible enough to accomodate the movement associated with timber.

S.B.

Back