Tiling on wooden floorboards.

jambr

I am going to tile my bathroom floor using mosaic tiles, the type with a backing. I have seen a flexible tile cement to use on wooden floors and was wondering if it is successful? My floor boards are in good condition and very even. Anybody ever do similar?

Jambr

You should put down plywood under the tiles, screwed into the floorboards. Use plenty of screws. It is needed to prevent movement under the tiles, which can cause them to lift.

C

unibond make a mix you can mix in with any tile adhesive when using with wooden bases for tiling, just used it for my bathrooms and main hall which were all tiled onto plywood. any good hardware store will have it

Used the "tiling on wooden floors" bucket last year and laid a 300x300 tile down straight on to 20 year old pine floorboards. The adhesive is also used as grout.

It thin set stuff but is very very very sticky and I think it would be a nightware to grout mosiac with it.

But it did stick the tiles and no cracks.

If you don't want to use ply ensure you stick a couple of screws in your boards down into the joist just to be sure.

given that you're puttin down mosaic tiles - make sure you use a plywood base (in as few pieces as you can) - you could use 8 mm ply as you don't need structural support from the ply.

there is a better product than plywood - Hardibacker 500, available in 6 and 12mm sheets. Cement based, it won't shrink, warp or crack, and it's designed specifically for tiling. You can use it on walls, too.

Hi galwaytt thanks for the advice is Hardibacker 500 easy to get. Do you know where in Dublin you can buy it. How easy is it to cut?

If you cant get hardibacker go for marine ply which you should get at any hardware/builders suppliers.

As has been stated on many previous threads on tiling, marine ply is overkill, and very expensive.

Back