Tiling on subsided wooden floor

G

Gander0

I'm looking to lay tiles in my kitchen but know that the floor has quite a hefty slope in it from subsidence. I'm pretty sure the floor is a standard wooden one on joists.

Does anyone know what procedure i can use for levelling this floor in order to lay tiles?

Any help is much appreciated!

You could use plywood and or hardboard to try and bring it level. The hardboard is thinner and could be used at the point where the old floor and new wood start to meet. You can also sand down the hardboard with an orbital sander etc, to bring it all to the one level. Maybe someone else has a better method but it worked for me before, on a smaller scale.

pretty much what he said, but you'll need to make sure the finished surface is 100% secure, and use flexible adhesive additive to prevent cracking. use screws at 6 inch centres to secure it. levelling compound can be used to level it within a couple of mm.

OhPinchy said:
pretty much what he said, but you'll need to make sure the finished surface is 100% secure, and use flexible adhesive additive to prevent cracking. use screws at 6 inch centres to secure it. levelling compound can be used to level it within a couple of mm.

I have never used levelling compound on a wooden surface. Is it the same as using it on a concrete floor i.e. thinkness etc..? Do you just prime the wood and go for it?

If you have subsidence I think you need to be sure it has finished moving, i.e. get to the root it before you tile as it is a lifetime job if done properly. Their is nothing more depressing then pulling up tiles a few months old.

Thanks for the responses. The house is around 100 years old so I think the subsidence over this time is something that i'm just going to deal with... Our survey noted it, but didnt raise it as an issue. I will be very depressed if I do have to pull up the tiles but am hoping any subsidence has run its course or is slow enough for it not to be an imminent problem.

I'd recommend taking up at least part of the existing floor and taking a look at what's underneat. The joists may be rotten and need to be replaced. It would be far easier and cheaper to remedy that now than after you lay a new floor.
Leo

Thanks Leo

Will have to do this anyway as we are laying pipes due to replacing and moving our boiler. Hence the motivation to get the floor sorted at the same time.

Back