Tiling on cork?

baz05

hi there,
I'm going to be moving into a new duplex soon and builder has cork put down on all the downstairs floors(concrete) which should help with sound insulation.
I'm wondering about the Kitchen floor though, would it be possible to tile on this or should I take up cork in kitchen before tiling?
Any thoughts much appreciated!

I think you need to remove the cork. Cork is slightly soft so there would be too much movement for the tiles and you would get cracking. First rule of tiling is to tile on a firm surface.

cheers,
Diziet

could only see tiles cracking on cork as has been said....I think Cork is a pain in the This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language to remove if it has been glued down...pity you didn't manage to stop it being done in advance...google it for removal but I think if its glued its a case of scraping it and burning it etc etc

Don't remove the cork- this is probably a resilient acoustic mat called "Regipol" which is now routinely fitted in new build apartments to improve resistance to impact sound between apartments. By removing the cork you could dramatically impair the sound resistance of the floor. To tile over this you would probably have to lay a solid substrate such as a proprietary tiling board (gypsum based)- however this will obviously bump up the floor level significantly when you add on tiling. Why not put down a good quality lino like "Marmoleum" or a vinyl by "Armstrong" or similar? It's warm underfoot, easy to wipe clean and will cost less than a good tile.

I have tiles already bought in the January sales. It never crossed my mind that anything would be laid on the floor. I suppose that I'll have to look into it more. Thanks for the replies