tiling disaster!

kieran160

renovating our house at the minute. tiler finished laying tiles yesterday, they are beige coloured polished porcelin. major problem being cannot get the tiles shiny, should be like glass. at the min my hands are sore from cleaning them without success. anybody else have this problem can see shoe marks etc on them and no amount of cleaning with soapy water has helped! afraid to use anything else but soft cloth and soapy water. it is like there is a film on the tiles making them dull that we cant get off. help!

try cleaning with a dy towel, you're probably rubbing the grout all over them each time you clean

Get yourself a pack of Vitrex pads in the tiling dept of Atlantic homecare if grout is hardened on. Pack consists of 4 differently coloured pads indicationg whether they are abrasive or non abrasive. I think the white or orange one should do trick for you. Have bucket of water and absorbant sponge beside you at all times and refresh often. do not use any chemicals so soon after grouting, if in doubt call tile shop and ask for advice. You will have film on tiles for days after tiling, just keep cleaning, it should lessen day by day.

Good luck!

if you have a good quality polished porcelain you should be able to use an acid cleaner (like HG extra) and the floor will be clean in 5 minutes. Beware though , alot of places sell poor quality polished porcelain that needs to be sealed i've heard of a lot of problems with this stuff.
Where did you buy the tiles?

Wipe the tiles first with a dry sponge and this get rid of most of the excess grout then dilute some ordinary white vinegar in hot water and wipe down the tiles.

Wipe the tiles first with a dry sponge and this get rid of most of the excess grout then dilute some ordinary white vinegar in hot water and wipe down the tiles.

This also has worked very well for me in the past.