Tiling disaster

Art

I got a tiler in last week to retile the kitchen floor – however it has been a disaster - he has only glued the tiles so far and has not grouted yet. The main problem is that the size of the gaps between the tiles where the grout will go are very large and not all the same distance.

I am going to get him to take them back up but am wondering if the tiles will be cracked when he does this??

If the adhesive is down any more than a couple of hours you can forget about lifting the tiles. Are you sure the tiling is that bad- perhaps when grouted in they may look better?

My concern is that the when the grout goes in, the difference in size in the gaps between the tiles will only be magnified. Would you think that this would be the case??

All you can do at the moment is get him to grout them and see what they look like. You have nothing to lose at this stage. If it still looks bad the will have to be lifted and new ones put down.
It should look better grouted so good luck..

I would have thought that the tiler/builder should pay for any replacement tiles given that he did such a job or is this being unrealistic - the tiler was subcontracted by the builder. Would this not be fair and reasonable??

Back