Tiling before installing bathroom suite or vice versa

I

IanDublin

Hi,
We are getting a new bathroom suite and the floor needs tiles.
Is it better to tile before or after installing the bathroom suite?
Does anyone know a reasonablly priced tiler?

Also need to get the living room papered? Does anyone know the going rate for a decorator. Room is about 14.5 sq m.
Do they charge by the roll or is there a standard room rate?

Thanks in advance

Ian, regarding bathroom tiling, a good tiler will ALWAYS remove your sink, toilet etc. before laying down tiles, so it doesn't really matter if the bathroom suite is installed first.

Be careful though, some tilers will try to charge you extra for this service apparently, don't stand for it.

Hi IanDublin,

tile before installing the new bathroom suite, otherwise you're faced with sealing issues and ackward tile cuts.

Can't help with the other query.

ALERT.

kramer2006 said:
a good tiler will ALWAYS remove your sink, toilet etc. before laying down tiles, so it doesn't really matter if the bathroom suite is installed first.

And how do they reconnect the pipes/drains considering that the floor level would have moved up by say 1/2 inch?

Last edited:
And how do they reconnect the pipes/drains considering that the floor level would have moved up by say 1/2 inch?

No idea, you'll have to ask a plumber. All I know is that plumber took up the bathroom suite before tiling and I don't have any "sealing issues" or "ackward tile cuts".

There shouldn't be any problems as a result of raising the floor by this amount. Even if the cistern is of the closed coupled variety, the fixing points should allow for the small rise. The plumbing of the waste from the toilet should also allow flexibility. Any semi-competent plumber won't have a problem.
Leo