Tiling Bathroom - remove architrave before replacing doors?

Jmcelroy

We are tiling our bathroom walls. Around the door, there is an old architrave that we would like to replace when we eventually get around to putting in new doors.

Should I ask the tiler to remove the architrave and tile right up to the frame (and ask the door fitters to place an architrave on top of the tiles), or should I have him tile to the architrave? I'm worried the new architrave may be a different size (so a gap between that and tiles), or that they will damage the new bathroom tiles removing it.

I would definitely get the architrave removed first and as you say tile up (or close to) the door frame. Even if the new architrave is the same size, mating tile to wooden architrave is messy, if you use grout it will crack as the wood expands differently to the tile etc. Much better to have the tile running in under the architrave imho.

I would definitely get the architrave removed first and as you say tile up (or close to) the door frame. Even if the new architrave is the same size, mating tile to wooden architrave is messy, if you use grout it will crack as the wood expands differently to the tile etc. Much better to have the tile running in under the architrave imho.
Fantastic. Thanks so much for your info/opinion.

Would you consider no architrave? Can look nice in the right setting, if you're using large tikes. Just finish with a chrome trim.
Hmm, not sure. Will have to see when he has the tiles on the wall. Thanks, something to consider.

Back