Tiling & Archatrive

tups7

Guys, I am currently building a new house an need some help. My door frames are installed. Tiling, skirting and acrhatrives are next. Which happens first? Do I fit the skirting and archatrive and tile to it, or does the tiling come first?

What we did was take down the skirting but just cut a piece the thickness of the tile off the architrave.
Tile then and put up your skirting

Put on the archatrive then tiler can cut off required amount for tile to fit.No need to remove architrave.This way no gap between architrave and tile.
C S

Tile first, skirting and architrave after that for a neat finish.

Disagree with this- you can't successfully fit skirting and architrave over tiling. Where you are going for full height, floor to ceiling tiling you generally don't fit a skirting, use a half floor tile to form the skirting around the wall. However it is still normal practice to fit an architrave in such a scenario and this is fitted before tiling and tiles are carried up to the edge of same. In more modern, contemporary build skirtings and architraves are often dispensed with and special plastic trims are used to form shadow lines in the plasterwork. The tiler will use these trims as his starting point. Hard to explain in text only....

A few other points worth noting. If you fit the tile to the Architrave rather than under it at the floor your grout will more than likely crack within a short time. I have tiled under skirtings and architraves using mdf and to the architrave in bathrooms with no skirtings at all. However, there will probably be small gaps under the skirting in places where the tiling isn't quite level.

Tile first, then fit skirtings and archatrive. Tiler will leave the tiles approx 2" short of door openings and you can then fit an architrave with a rebate so the outer edge covers the edge of the the tile. This gives a nice finish.
If you tile up to the architrave and grout the joint, this joint will crack.
if you are tiling fllor to ceiling then as mentioned you dont need skirtings.