tiles

Brenno123

hi im building a country farmhouse and i have big open plan kitchen/diner/living area that im looking to get tiled..

i want black tiles, natural stone rusticy look if possible and want them in different sizes, big rectangles smaller sqaures etc.

Problem is any of the tile shops ive been to just dont seem to have what im after.

anyone any suggestions....i want good quality tiles so willing to pay extra as i want this area done right. also are natural stone tiles practivcal from a cleaning point of view?

if anyone knows any places they could recommend or websites id be most greatful

If they are natural then they will be slightly porous. Make sure whoever puts them down does a good job of cleaning all the grout off immediately. I didn't and had to do a lot of cleaning afterwards.

Also have a think about black. Shows up everything.

We bought black porcelain tiles which look like natural slate in Right Price tiles about a year ago. Black stone tiles are notoriously difficult to keep clean (especially in a kitchen) and the lookalikes are better in this respect, but do clean the grout off straightaway. Ours are all large squares and I haven't seen them in the assorted sizes that you mention, only squares or rectangles.

A friend of mine put down black slate tiles about 7 years ago but they need a lot of maintenance. Have to use a cleaner once a year and re-seal them. They look good when done and have a rustic uneven finish but I think black porcelain would be a better option.

My simple advice is stay away from the black.
I have black polished porcelain in my kitchen/dining and utility room.
They are very difficult to keep clean.
I have a toddler and 10 month old and the place gets destroyed.
If my wife asks me to brush & mop it once more, I just might have to do it!

Last edited:
thanks for the advice re the black tiles....i actually thought they would be cleaner.

maybe a beigey/sand colour would be better then. anyone any suggestions where i can get the rustic stone look im after?....not into the shiny polished look....good quality tiles?

Depending on how big your kitchen is you could save a fortune by shopping abroad. This factory in Lódz for example will cut and make tiles any size and finish (i.e rough finish) you want. They literally get a big slab of stone and cut and finish it to order. They are very high quality so they will still be expensive tiles, just a lot cheaper than comparable quality over here. You can check out their stock here.

Back