Tiles Vs Timber flooring

adams

Hi Folks,

Could you discuss the pros & cons of Tiling Vs Timber flooring, for Kitchen,Hallway,W/C (& living room!!!)

Can you also discuss abt Cost involved.

Thanks

Tiles are cold - timber is warm if, like me,you wander about in your bare feet.

We have both. Agree with previous post that tiles are cold - unlesss you have underfloor heating (which we don't!) If you choose well they look good (hallway where you don't spend much time) and are easy to mop (bathroom). Good timber floors (real wood) are probably better in the living room and kitchen. Stuff breaks when dropped on tiled kitchen floors! I think a living room is better with wood - a much more sympathetic surface. If tiled you may need a lot of comfy rugs...

Are there any sales in Republic(Dublin preferably) on timber & tiles.

Thanks AlastairSC for excellent suggestion!

Would not dream of putting a wooden floor in the kitchen, for the simple reason that they scratch very easliy with furniture being pulled across it, no matter how careful you are. As for putting timber floor in a w/c you could assume that there will be water spilt on it from time to time thus eventually causing either the floor to warp or rot, there some very good heavy duty linos that have a timber effect and would be a lot more practical for a w/c. You can not beat a timber floor in a sitting room, but you need to be careful as they are easily scratched even with protectors on the legs of any furniture that might be in there, as for price you can spend as much or as little as you like, but do not attempt to put pine down as it is very soft and the legs of chaurs will mark it.

Have you underfloor heating if so use tiles as timber is an insulating material and will not allow heat pass through as well as concrete, tile etc. I have used tiles and timber. Tiles in the kitchen, hall, lobby and wash room alng with the bathroom. Timber in the sitting room and bedroom. I used a laminated timber, it was laminated on the vertical. In otherwords the blank is solid from top to bottom. Its made from pieces of timber 15mm thick and 30mm wide glued side by side to creat a blank 15mm X 150mm x 3000mm. This helps prevent twisting etc, and the fact it is full solid wood it can be sanded in the future and re varnished. On tiles it is easier cut Spanish tiles rather than does from Egypt I have found. Hope this info is of help.

"I used a laminated timber, it was laminated on the vertical. In otherwords the blank is solid from top to bottom"

What is this called?

Back