Tiles or timber sunroom floor

mct1

Now this forum has just solved the question of our new vaulted sunroom ceiling, which is to be white painted plaster, could I ask what you think about the relative merits of porcelain tiles versus timber (oak or birch) for the floor?

We had thought wood but are vacillating - this extension building lark seems to have turned us into jellyfish!

Our builder advised against wooden floor due to intense heat build up that will occur

we have a sunroom (solid roof) and have a timber floor now for 5 years and we have not had any problem with it and we are south facing.

Our builder also advised against timber. As it happens we're "tile nuts" with all the house tiled downstairs so it was going to be tiles anyway. The tiles worked out very well. Also maybe worth mentioning if heat is an issue, we put down "deviheat" electric underfloor matting under the tiles, very handy to heat room without heating rest of house.

My parents have sunroom with cream porcelain tiles. They look great and never seem to be cold. Quite easy to keep clean too.

Now that I got you to go with the plaster ceiling, I'll tell you that our floor is wood (solid oak). It is tough, good looking, and warm to walk on (and to look at!). However wood does scratch and mark, no matter how careful you are, so unless you are willing to accept that as part of its "character ageing", it may not be for you. However if you go for tiles, choose the colour and texture carefully, and tray and give the space some visual as well as physical warmth. The advice re under tile heating sounds good, cos remember this room will probably be used in winter too, so it should also be warm and well insulated.

Now that I got you to go with the plaster ceiling, I'll tell you that our floor is wood (solid oak). It is tough, good looking, and warm to walk on (and to look at!). However wood does scratch and mark, no matter how careful you are, so unless you are willing to accept that as part of its "character ageing", it may not be for you. However if you go for tiles, choose the colour and texture carefully, and tray and give the space some visual as well as physical warmth. The advice re under tile heating sounds good, cos remember this room will probably be used in winter too, so it should also be warm and well insulated.

The electric undertile heating sounds nice but I don't feel it would fit with our ecological footprint. (We have solar panels for hot water and are installing a wood pellet boiler). Your oak wood floor sounds nice and as we're now thinking seriously of oak for our other new rooms, including the kitchen adjacent to the sunroom, we could run it through. I have a red deal floor in my home office from our last extension and it's hugely dented and scratched but still looks OK, so I think I could live with a few scratches.

Back