tiles in situ - fitting new socket face plates

sloggi

Anybody have a solution for the following. Just got my kitchen tiled with 4" porcelain tiles. tiler refitted the standard white socket face plates when he was finished. I then decided that I'd prefer some chrome ones instead. they are flush face plates and have a bit of a groove running behind them. As such, the space cut out by tiler for the sockets isn't fitting exactly - especially where there are a group of sockets/cooker switches together. Himself tried to grind a bit of the edges of the tiles with some grinding attachment on the drill but apparently there isn't enough resolutions on the drill or the grinding stone not able to stand up to porcelain.

Would anyone have any suggestions for some kind of tool which might stand up to the job - something like a mini angle grinder but would have to be able to get into corners. otherwise, I've just blown €250 and he wont be very happy with me!!!!

Dremel do an attachment for cutting tiles, but it's only rated for ceramic. The heat generated cutting porcelain will destry the bit in no time.

DeWalt do a great [broken link removed] tool, you can get carbide burr bits that might do the trick. You'd get within 3cm of a corner. That's going to cost the best part of €250 though.

I don't know of anything else that will cut porcelain into corners, certainly not at a price that'll make sense in relation to the €250.
Leo

eeeemmmm maybe i could get from a hire shop?

would a tile nibbler be any good do you think?

Could you take the existing socket(s) off the wall just leaving the wires coming out from the wall. Then cut the new tiles to fit the space left around the wires. Then put the new sockets on top of the new tiles rather than having them in a space cut out between tiles.

only problem with this is a) tiling has already been completed and b) if i had decided to that from the off, i'd have nothing to screw the face plate into

But thanks for the suggestion

only problem with this is a) tiling has already been completed and b) if i had decided to that from the off, i'd have nothing to screw the face plate into

But thanks for the suggestion

There should be a "back box" in the wall for the existing sockets of not look at fitting a "drylining box" in the wall.

I've done something similar and very successfully using a cheap 4" (or 4 1/2") angle grinder fitted with a cheap diamond (continuous rim) disc. You'll need steady hands, good eye, ear and breathing protection as the porcelain dust is a killer.

I've done something similar and very successfully using a cheap 4" (or 4 1/2") angle grinder fitted with a cheap diamond (continuous rim) disc. You'll need steady hands, good eye, ear and breathing protection as the porcelain dust is a killer.

Excellent, you're a life saver!!