Tiles in Hallways?

eggerb

I am considering tiling my hallway with a fairly neutral beige/brown matt finish tile. The hallway is about 4m wide and 11m long. Does anybody have any opinions/experiences of tiles in hallways? Thanks!

love 'em...that exactly what i'll be doing myself!!

4m x 11m...lad that's your sitting room surely! (13ft x 38ft) What size of a house is it???

sloggi said:
4m x 11m...lad that's your sitting room surely! (13ft x 38ft) What size of a house is it???
:eek: probably smaller ... haven't moved in yet so that was a (way-out) guess ..twice the width of the front door then and the length of the sitting room. ... not very good at guesstimates ;) . Had a plan in my pocket for months but can't find anything in my paper mountain! There is an under-stairs toilet off the hall so for that reason too I'm thinking its a good idea. Only reservation is the big jump or ramp up to the solid wood floors in adjoining rooms but sure I can live with that I reckon.

Tiled my apartment hallway with black and white check tiles, very snazzy looking and dead easy to keep clean. if someone walked in with dirty feet a quick mop up cleaned them.

no good at the old meters myself, do everything in feet and inches...and i'm not even of that vintage!! probably closer to 2m x 4m or so (6.5ft x 14ft - for us ludites - handy gadget on the phone does these conversions for me!)

i reckon tiles are spot on, i've no loo in hall way but plan to tile through to the living dining/kitchen! the notion of grubby feet and all that! Depends on what kind of wood floor you put down....solid generally bout 18mm i think. so there might not be a rampa as such or if there is not very noticeable - depends on the tile!

Brodiebabe, love that black white look myself but wonder if it'll be a bit much in the kitchen aswell...i have 38m2 to do...conversion for the tilers benefit! what kind of tiles did you lay? the polished porcelain was costing me €4.5k...i think i better think it out again!

Just tore all my tiles (black) up and replaced them with mosaic which is easier to keep clean. Still each to their own

SecurityDoor said:
Just tore all my tiles (black) up and replaced them with mosaic which is easier to keep clean. Still each to their own

is it the colour that was hard to keep clean (black?)??? cant imagine mosaic on floor, what size are they?

Thanks everybody. The decision is made - tiles in the hall. I'll live with the ramp up to the solid wood floors. It means I can do them straight away as well without waiting for the concrete floors to dry and the wood to climatise. (Thats probably for anoher thread!) A decision at last :)

always found tiles to be cold like a wooden/cerpet hall but go with what u prefer

I have a few friends that have tried all the usuals in the hallway and have all been raving about tiling in the hallway - easy to keep clean and very classy! They are amazing turkish travertine (looks like mable) 30x60 tiles so they are big and rectangle and down in a block brick effect - it looks amazing --- good luck with it!

Warning - they are a little cold. But it's a good trade off in terms of the look and ease of maintenance. We tiled hallway through dowstairs loo and into kitchen. Flecked light grey - dirt barely shows at all.

You've probably tiled your hall by now ... but if you haven't just to say that some friends have just tiled theirs and it's fab....and really warm and welcoming as well...so, if you haven't already ... what's stopping you...!!!

Tiled the hall (and understairs WC) and very happy with it! Haven't found it cold at all ... then again - we are in the middle of a heat wave! Hired a door trimming saw to cut the door architraves so the tiler could just tile under them and it looks very well... would def recommend it!

I had my hall way through to kitchen tiled in large black and white check. Looks great. (Done by Brendan Bonnie Tiling 01 4524860)

We went with tiles in the hallway and given the abuse its gotten due to ongoing renovations it was clearly the right solution for us - any other surface would be destroyed by now but the tiles are good as new.

We laid them on the diagonal and it has definitely made our narrow hallway feel bigger.

Back