Tilers

deanwood

Hi

I live in Cork and I am looking for a reasonably cheap tiler :) I'm a FTB and have bought on my own so don't have a lot of money to furnish!
I have heard that there are foreign trades people who tile for about €100 a day and they are suppose to do a good job has anyone have any experience of this???
I'm in the same boat for laying wooden floors!!

Be careful ... sometimes the lack of English can be a problem. Happened to us a few months ago where the instructions on what way we wanted the tiles were not followed and we ended up having to keep on checking up on him to make sure everything was going ok. Would you not try attempting it yourself?? I know people who have done a great job on tiling with no experience (just patience!)

would love to say that I would give it a try but I know that I would probably mess it up! and it would end up costing me a lot more having to replace all the tiles!! and my dad and brothers are even worse than I am so I can't even ask them!!:)

If you want to go down the DIY option HSS on Kinsale Rd hire the necessary equipment - 021-4313277 and have good week-end rates. If you get details of tilers that are willing to tile for €100 a day - please let me know!

besides the incident with him not following instructions (on 1 wall and 1 floor - seam of wood on each panel in the same place so there was a line down the centre - out of 8 in total) he was reasonable and quick. We were originally having 2 different people - one for tiles and one for wooden floors - but he saw the wood when he came to look at what needed to be done for the tiling and said he would do a cheaper price than the other guy and also would give discount on the tiling as a result of doing the wooden floors as well. I can get his number tonight & can pm you tomorrow with it if you want to get a quote at least. You could always tell him you only want a quote for tiling & then after he gives you that, ask about the wooden floors ;)

that would be great I need to get 3 bathrooms tiled the kitchen floor and the kitchen tiled I can't imagine that he would have that done in a day although the bathrooms are quite small but I am sure if I got an Irish tiler to do it it would probably take about a week!!

A list I correlated in work (not my comments attached to each contact):

Tom Higgins is finishing up my house at the moment.
Does a good job, shows up and is priced middle of the road.
087 6405784
----------------------
I have a fantastic guy in Kinsale who also does a lot of jobs in Cork.
His name is John Fitzgerald and his number is 087 8190733
-------------------
Alfonso - 087 9384324 - excellent workmanship.
------------------
Michael Twomey has tiled twice at my house.
I have found him to be an excellent tiler.
Efficient, on time and tidy.
087 9052606 or 086 3487400
-------------------
I would recommend Frank Sheridan (087 277 0059).
His workmanship is excellent, very reasonable and reliable.
-------------------
Patrick Williams (contact no: 087 6697326) is a TIME SERVED Tiler Germany).
He is a meticulous, dependable and very PROFESSIONAL.
-------------------
I'd strongly recommend Roland 087 9781569.
Very prompt, good price, good job.
-------------------
This is a guy I got to tile my place recently:
Ivan: 087-7845576

As far as I know they are all based in and around Cork city.
I used Michael Twomey and would use him again.

Hope this helps,
:)

Hi Deanwood, we are tiling at the moment, no one has priced per day, its all per square yard or metre, we are paying €17 psqyd, got cheaper qoutes but the tiler wasn't available when we wanted! we have used this guy before and he turns up when he says or rings if he's going to be late, came back and fixed a problem with the tiles at a time that suited us! no tiler I know qoutes by the day!

i got quotes from a few irish tilers to tile the floor and walls of a small bathroom, 1400 to 2000 euros.
then got a polish tiler who did an super job for 500 euros.it took him 2 days(sat. and sunday) and the work was fantastic..
he works construction during the week and does nixers at the weekend. he told me he get more private jobs than he can handle.
the weekend work pays living expenses while the wages go back home to poland.
also they show up when they say they will as opposed to irish tradesmen who never show up and then dont answer their mobiles when you try to contact them.

thefisherman said:
then got a polish tiler who did an super job for 500 euros.it took him 2 days(sat. and sunday) and the work was fantastic..

Will you post or PM his details please? Thanks!

yes, cork.
there was a rented house around the corner from my rental with polish cars and construction guys coming and going-i just knocked on the door and asked if they knew any tilers.
we were all happy to do a deal.
guess the only losers were the overpriced irish tilers that seem to think they are doing you a favor by showing up at 12.20 for a 9.00 appointment.

dont have any number for him-they were within walking distance of my gaff.
greenhills court off the south douglas road before the petrol station ,the house they rented was on the right hand side about 3/4s of the way into the estate towards the very end. lots of polish cars outside the door.
not sure of the house number and since my tennants pay straight into my account i have no immediate need to visit the area.-but i'm sure some one along that street will point the house out to ye.
they did the work for me last july or so so not sure if he is still around-but it costs nothing to ask.

be careful on the rate your quoted by some of the list above, make sure its per square meter of tiles laid and not square meter of tiles handled/cut, which some tilers think they can legitimately charge..

Jobs are priced per square yard.This includes waste.So if a job measures 100 yards plus 10% waste then its 110 yards the job is priced for.

Back