Tiler ruined our kitchen - Is there come back?

Ronan2008

We had our kitchen tiled 2 years back with natural slate tiles. The only problem is that the tiler who put them down, left a lot of them at uneven hights. He said at the time that the tiles had different thickness (which I knew, as natural tiles tend to have) and that was the reason they were like this when the floor was finished. I felt something was not right with this and after 2 years of tripping on tiles and having a rocky kitchen table, I decided to get another tiler in to look. I checked this 2nd guy out with references he supplied as i was a bit wary of been bitten twice. He immediately said a cowboy had been at the floor and very skillfully and with a lot of effort has corrected much of the problem. the other option was to take them all up and start again.

I know the other tilers address and name, is there a way i can try to get my money back from him for his shoddy workmanship?. I would be willing to take it to court if possible.

anyone else have any similar experiences?

btw i sourced the second real tiler from www.tradesman.ie I see a few posts asking for recommendations. I cant vouch for the site but the guy i got from it was a gentleman and i found the site a great resource for starting a search for a tiler.

I will watch the replies with interest as I got mine tiled a few months ago and have loads of problems. A load of the tiles have a "hollow" sound if you tap them. Also realised last week that the grout used on the floor was actually a wall grout, I don't know if that will create a problem but I figure there is a reason one is for "floors" and one is for "walls". It was a cash job. I had seen some of the "guy's" work before and it was a lovey job, unfortunately he didn't show up on the day and I had builders waiting to finish other stuff and a kitchen ready to be fitted and I could wait the 3 weeks ofr the main guy to be free
. Stupid I know. So, I'd also appriciate had thoughts anyone has!

Sam, in relation to using wall tile grout for the floors, I'm pretty sure wall tile grout is just stronger so wall tile grout ok on floors, but floor tile grout won't work on walls.

They tiler was based in Lexlip (I think....they came to me....D15 area). They are eastern European....I think from Muldovia but not certain. I have to take some blame 'cos I did notice on day one that one of the guys had all brand new tools! I called my contact (she does the negotiating on behalf of her dad). I said I wanted the dad as agreed but she said he was tied up on another job and not free for a few weeks. No other fall back options and builders pushing to get back in to finish their bit. So far I can live with it but I'm worried about a few years down the line!

Last edited:
Can anyone advise me as to my options? I have done a bit of checking into it and I was told that without a receipt (It was a cash job) I basically have no come back!