Tiler damaged house

MandaC

I am getting a fair bit of tiling work done, kitchen, utility room, downstairs loo and 2 bathrooms floor to ceiling. Over the last week, I had two lads in tiling and they are to come back on Tuesday to finish the bathroom floor.

Was up in the house on Saturday tidying around and noticed a couple of things.

1. They must have washed something like a tile cutter in the kitchen sink. (Franke sink set under the granite worktop) Its absolutely ruined with deep ingrained scratches (going around in a circle) It looks like its fify years old and has not even been used yet.

2. Tiles must have been rested on the three loo seats. They are shiny plastic ones and have the same problem with scrathes and scuffs having taken the full shine off them.

3. Radiator in the ensuite was not screwed closed properly at the sides. Have a very small leak which has stained the kitchen ceiling.

Apart from that, there is an awful lot of scuff marks on the paintwork - even in rooms which did not require any tiling, though I had taken that as par for the course with the workmen, as its that matt type paint that you only have to touch to mark.

This is a brand new house that I havent even lived in yet and I am not happy, particularly with the kitchen sink. Am I within my rights to expect a replacement? Or is that par for the course when getting work done.

I have to see them tomorrow to finish paying them and for them to finish the work (job cost €1,650 for approx 65-70 yrds) and would like any advice on how to tackle the issue.

They are nice lads and I have no problems with the tiling, just not happy with the other damages.

Thanks

MandaC

I don't think I'd be handing over the money to them just yet! The sink damage sounds the most costly and they don't appear to have paid due care and attention to their work overall. I would point out all the problems they caused, ask them to repair them to your satisfaction. how much have you paid them so far? igf the O/S amount is not a lot, they might cut their losses.

The total cost was €1,670 of which I have paid them €1,000. The second bathroom wall tiles are not yet finished laid or grouted and both bathrooms have to have the floor tiles put down and grouted, as well as some minor snagging on the tiles. Overall, the tiling part of the work is quite good.

My question really is I suppose, am I within my rights to request a new sink? Its going to be no good to me to suggest €50 off the job or something like that. I just know the sink is going to get to me and I will end up replacing it. Franke are expensive, not to mention the plumber to remove the existing sink and fit the new one under the granite worktop.

Yoiu have to have this out with them ...in a friendly way, of course. If they don't acknowledge the damage, then you don't pay the balance, I'd say adn get more firm in your attitude. Others here might have more experience of this though...

Once you are sure that the tilers caused the damage and that there was no possability of any other tradesman doing this, then yes you are within your rights to go after them. Have the facts before you meet them, with prices for the sink to be replaced.

We had similar problems with our tilers, damaged walls, skirting and put a hole in the celing in the sitting room which they filled with white silicone. They had my heart broken between damages and non trade waste such as cigarette butts and blocking every drain in the house with flippin' grout !

We dug out heels in and got the house cleaned and some money off. If they had damaged my sink that way and I was sure they were repsonsible id be pushing for a replacement. Complete lack of respect for your property and you are paying them well fof the work . Really ticks me off !

There has been no other tradesmen in the house, or indeed anybody at all for that matter. I havent even moved in. The tiles are the first and only heavy work to be done. The house was perfect when snagged with the builder. The only people to use the sink at all was them. There is absolutely no doubt about who caused the damage. If they try to deny it, I shall start to get very annoyed.

I was in the house myself on Thursday night and the sink was fine, so whatever happened on Friday caused the damage.

Not to mention the ceiling will need repainting because of the leak, the leak will need to be fixed. The loo seats are damaged as well. This morning I noticed that they dragged something heavy into the main bedroom to get near the ensuite and have taken chunks out of one of the floorboards that I paid to have sanded and varnished just after I moved in.

Am getting a bit more annoyed now that I think of it.

I work for a medium sized contractor and we have very strict rules where other trades cause damage to completed work and unfortunately tilers are often the biggest culprits. You are entitled to have your sink repaired or replaced IMHO; they shouldn't be using it to clean their tools. You should insist that they clear all traps and wastes of grout and adhesive on completion- this is a very common problem. Some level of disturbance and reasonable wear and tear is to be expected (scuffed paintwork, dirty floors etc) but most of this is and should be avoidable.

Thanks for the replies. Have just found out that the sink costs €450 retail. Phoned the kitchen company and the guy said honestly, you are better to live with it. Changing it could mean unsealing all the granite, removing sink, resealing, etc and its serious labour cost on top of the €450. Could be looking at over €1K in total, and more mess, etc.

I havent spoken to the tilers this evening, they are due to call and finish the job tomorrow morning. I am holding €670 from the job until its finished and I dont want to tell them how much the sink cost because they would just walk off and not finish.

Sink has not even been used and is scratched to bits. Problem is that I am in work all day, so they have free reign on the house. I told them at the outset that I am a fusspot, but still had to face this when I got home.

Am thinking of retaining €300 out of the €670, given that I wont be replacing the sink!!!

I have to get my wooden floors done and also a patio laid, and am now very nervous about getting any further work done, its quite disheartening. Problem is, I have no building contacts, all my my side are "officey" types as opposed to tradespeople, so its quite difficult to get decent contacts.

Anyone any decent contacts for wood flooring or patios.

Thanks

MandaC

Hi MandaC. I'm sure many of us can empathise with you. Many trades really just don't care about other peoples property. Get tough and hold the money until the job is done and have them clean and repair where necessary. For future trades make sure you cover floors with cardboard, insist that tilers and plasterers use an outside tap if possible and you really need to be there on and off during the job. I had a lot of tiling done that cost a bit and was having plumbers back to repair a fault and I left cardboard on every possible surface. Clueless plumber lifted the cardboard and literally threw his metal tool box on the floor.

Back