Tile shop mistake

BusyBusy

Hi all,
I purchased tiles in Feburary to tile a kitchen/dining/sunroom, main bathroom and hallway. We went back to the same tile shop in May to choose tiles for two ensuites.We gave the house plans to the shop assistant so that he would calculate the amount needed.

I've had trouble getting the shop to deliver the tiles to the house (20 miles away) even though they were given three weeks notice.
Last week I made 5 trips in my own car bringing some of the tiles myself as the tiler started the job last Thursday.
There is one main bathroom and two ensuites, and by Friday 20/06 the tiler had completed fully tiling the main bathroom and the smaller of the ensuites.

We have all the tiles that we were sold (supposedly enough for the 3 bathrooms) but have no tiles left to start the 2nd ensuite.
We went back to the shop to sort it out, and another staff member calculated that we were only quoted and sold enough tiles for one ensuite.
I've been in contact with the guy who sold me the tiles and he says that he did sell me enough tiles for two ensuites, and that at the time we insisted that we were being sold way too many!

I've been given the area managers number, but he is ignoring my calls. He is aware of the situation and has been in contact with the shop staff, who in turn have contacted me saying they are not responsible and I've received everything I've paid for so there is no problem.
I rang the head office who dont have much hope of dealing with it as all they can do is contact the same manager.

I feel that after being given a verbal quote for two bathrooms, and deciding to go with that price and buy the tiles I should at least be offered some sort of comprimise. We have spent alot of money there already, and if I were to buy what I need I would be doubling the original quote for the two ensuites.

Any advice on where to go next?

Surely the tiles were priced by the square yard? Did you get what you paid for?
Leo

Yep - agree with Leo

Look at the sales invoice and it will probably state a number of yards of tiles and a price per square yard. Check if you got that quantity of tiles - indeed you should have checked this as you collected them

At the end of the day if they made a mistake in the calculation they should apologise and maybe even offer some discount - but if you got the goods they quoted for in terms of square yards of tiles then why should you get free tiles to do the other bathroom?

The invoice states the number of tiles sold, not the number of yards, and the price is per tile. The sales assistant is still insisting that we have enough tiles for two bathrooms when we dont.
If we had been sold the correct number of tiles on the first day it wouldnt cost as much as what I'm being asked to pay now, as the price of the tile has since gone up.

I am not looking for free tiles, I am looking for an apology from the shop. I think its hilarious that a large tile franchise is ignoring, what is to them, a relatively small problem!

You're also lucky that they still have the tiles as some time has elapsed. They regularly discontinue tiles.

BTW make sure you keep a spare box for any problems or changes that you might make in the future. Its a problem that we encountered many years ago and won't make that mistake again.

The delivery situation was dreadful also.

We hired our own courrier last Friday to collect the tiles as there was no sign of getting them delivered and we needed them urgently for the tiler.
Two pallets were collected and delivered, and when we checked them we were numerous boxes short, according to the invoice.
We went to the shop on Saturday to address the issue, and were told they were in stock and would be delivered today.
I was speaking to a staff member this morning who rang to double check the quantity of tiles and to say they would be delivered this afternoon, he also asked me to stop ringing his manager!!
No tiles were delivered today. The tiler will be here again tomorrow, and if we hadnt hired our own courrier Friday we'd be delaying the job by at least another week.