ticket for parking my wheelchair car

N

netty_05

hiya every one,
i have just joined this site, and i have a question,
i live in a houseing estate in crumlin on a corner accross from a park/football pitch,

my son is 13 and severly disabled, i drive a long wheelbase vw van with 6ft ramp to take the wheelchair down,

last week i recived in the post a parking ticket for parking outside my own house with 2 wheels on the footpath, i wasnt blocking the path (i am very aware not to as of my sons disability)

i have a small driveway witch i think was made for a mini or somthing, my van does not fit into it, if i managed to smash down my wall i still couldnt get the ramp down,

i decided to leave it on the road for a night just to be legal and see what happend,

i was awoke at 7.30am buy the binmen they couldnt get through, so i moved it, then again a 8am my sons school bus couldnt get through, so i parked it on the road again, that night there was a fire in the park and the fire brigade asked my to move again,

when i looked there was no mirror on the driver side and a huge dent too!

im at my wits end here,
i applied to dublin city council for a wheelchair space but was refused as i have a drive way (fat lot of good it is)

what am i to do, im f---d if i leave it on the path and im f-----d if i dont,

any ideas?

hiya every one,
i have just joined this site, and i have a question,
i live in a houseing estate in crumlin on a corner accross from a park/football pitch,

my son is 13 and severly disabled, i drive a long wheelbase vw van with 6ft ramp to take the wheelchair down,

last week i recived in the post a parking ticket for parking outside my own house with 2 wheels on the footpath, i wasnt blocking the path (i am very aware not to as of my sons disability)

i have a small driveway witch i think was made for a mini or somthing, my van does not fit into it, if i managed to smash down my wall i still couldnt get the ramp down,

i decided to leave it on the road for a night just to be legal and see what happend,

i was awoke at 7.30am buy the binmen they couldnt get through, so i moved it, then again a 8am my sons school bus couldnt get through, so i parked it on the road again, that night there was a fire in the park and the fire brigade asked my to move again,

when i looked there was no mirror on the driver side and a huge dent too!

im at my wits end here,
i applied to dublin city council for a wheelchair space but was refused as i have a drive way (fat lot of good it is)

what am i to do, im f---d if i leave it on the path and im f-----d if i dont,

any ideas?

Sorry, sounds silly but could you just get a smaller vehicle? or do you need the van for work purposes as well??

Maybe theres somewhere they could modify the pavement to create a wheelchair space. Maybe lobby for that?

You mentioned that the driveway is too small, is it possible to enlarge it? I know it often makes sense to park partially on the footpath, but it is always illegal...

"I have a small driveway witch i think was made for a mini or somthing, my van does not fit into it, if i managed to smash down my wall i still couldnt getthe ramp do"

Hi netty.....even if you wanted to, you can't just knock the wall down anymore :( I believe a new regulation came into force in December, planning permission is now needed.

I'd go with Albercoria's suggestion! See can you have the pavement outside your home modified. If you have the time call into your local councillor at his/her clinic and set out your case. You might also consider getting onto the IWA, they have advocacy departments within their organisation. Seems to be my mantra so here I go again!! local council and european elections are coming up in June and all parties are working hard to gain brownie points.:)

Best of luck

"I have a small driveway witch i think was made for a mini or somthing, my van does not fit into it, if i managed to smash down my wall i still couldnt getthe ramp do"

Hi netty.....even if you wanted to, you can't just knock the wall down anymore :( I believe a new regulation came into force in December, planning permission is now needed.

I'd go with Albercoria's suggestion! See can you have the pavement outside your home modified. If you have the time call into your local councillor at his/her clinic and set out your case. You might also consider getting onto the IWA, they have advocacy departments within their organisation. Seems to be my mantra so here I go again!! local council and european elections are coming up in June and all parties are working hard to gain brownie points.:)

Best of luck

thanks for your thoughts every one, i have emailed iwa, i didnt get a reply, i also emailed dublin city council no reply, i have asked about getting the wall knocked also told i need planning permission, i have 5 children my van has 6 seats plus accomadates the wheelchair, oxygen tanks, feeding machine, feeds nappies, ramp, clamps and god only knows what the kids take along thats the reson i had to get a long wheelbase,

well anyway ill keep trying, i defo am not goin to pay that ticket, sure i could get one every day, so keep an eye on the papers i may have to go to court and it wont be nice,

netty,

Netty,

Sorry for your troubles. I would forward your problems to Joe@rte.ie
Thats the Joe Duffy radio show on RTE1. The public services in this country make no effort until they are named and shamed. Keep the chin up.

Bust up the (useless) driveway and plant grass. Extend the front wall all the way across, only leaving a gap for wheelchair access. No longer will you then have a drive way so you should be able to reapply for the wheelchair space.

Back