three car seats in an ordinary car

terrysgirl33

I know this has been covered a few times, but I would appreciate anyone who has experiance of this to add to a list! What standard cars will take 3 carseats/booster seats, and has anyone tried getting three into a Skoda Octavia?

Cars that will fit 3 carseats:
01 Citroen C5
Peugeot 307SW
VW Passat, new one 06 onwards
Opel Vectra (01)

Cars that won't fit 3 carseats:
Toyota Corolla (1993)
Audi A4T (2002)

The Honda FRV has three separate seats in the back, and three in the front too, but the middle one folds down to make an armrest when not needed. Boot size is good too. About €28k new.

I have an Octavia. Tried and failed to fit 2 child seats and a baby seat. Also tried a mazda 6. A Honda FRV looked good but you could only get a 1.7L petrol and I thought the interior didn't match the price. I think there is a updated model with a 1.8L petrol coming out in March. The other problem was that if you need 3 car seats you also need boot space. I narrowed my search down to a Seat Alhambra or a Ford Galaxy and eventually bought a 06 Galaxy last month.

Renault Scenic takes 3 in the back, we have two of those new "high" booster seats for our 3/4 years olds and typical car seat for 6 month old, no probs

I don't want to hijack the thread but how would anyone Verso owners rate this car? They seem like a good family car without going down the MPV route either?

I don't want to hijack the thread but how would anyone Verso owners rate this car? They seem like a good family car without going down the MPV route either?
I had my reservations about getting the Verso for so long, but now we have it, I think it was a good choice.
Very comfortable to drive, plenty space in the back and the seats in the rear are all independent and tilt & slide which is good for long journeys.

There is no denying they are an MPV but they feel more like a car to drive.

Do you mind me asking was that a petrol or diesel one you have? What is it like for fuel economy? We are probably going to look at this seriously later in the year and any feedback is welcome. There aren't a lot of them around (that I've seen anyway) although I did get a good look at one yesterday and they are nice looking car and it ticks a lot of boxes where space is concerned.

we managed to find a '05 2litre Diesel Sol.....believe me it was difficult. I was just about to give up and head north and buy a T3 2litre diesel when I spotted this one on carzone. Needless to say I pounced on it. 12k miles for €25k and in pristine condition.

If you can wait a couple of days I'll let you know what kind of fuel consumption we're getting. Only have it 2 weeks so its still not due a fill up but I reset the odo before I filled it, so I'll be calculating the consumption after the fill.
Almost all of the driving has been school runs in heavy traffic and short runs, so the worst kind.
We went for the Sol simply because we travel up/down to Cork & Cavan a lot so I wanted cruise control. We only have 2 kids under 6 so there is plenty space. The boot is nothing when the rear 2 seats are up. Only talking about 4-5" from the back door, but we will rarely use them.

Thanks tosullivan,
Appreciate your reply; we've only got 2 children ourselves and we're finding it difficult to go anywhere on a long haul with all the gear we have to bring. When I initially looked at this car the 7 seat spec put me off- but the generous bootspace provided in 5 seat mode would be perfect.

she filled today and she averaged 31mpg in the last fill. Not sure if thats good or bad, but the driving was all 1.5 mile avg trips to/from schools 8 times a day. Its all stop/start so I suppose its good. I think on the long run it'll probably get up to 45mpg

I suppose you'd call that "urban cycle", not too bad I'd imagine. Out of 5 how would you rate this vehicle (I've been checking this out on Honest John too)? Thanks!

defo 5, but I was expecting a bit more out of the mpg. most people telling me I should be getting 7-8mpg more

You can get more fuel efficient just by slightly altering your driving techniques. Check out the article in the link below for some examples:

[broken link removed]

We have a Verso as well (1.6 petrol) and it's pretty economical on country runs given the 3 kids and all the gear we carry in it (about 45 mpg - in town it's around mid thirties)

DeBarr, the Verso looks like a heavy car for the 1.6 petrol engine (some of the reviews have reservations about the the 1.6 engine's ability- lot of engine noise!) how do you find it? Is it underpowered...

I guess it depends on how you drive it. It’s certainly no rocket but it’s smooth and efficient. We took it to Scotland just after we bought it and it coped fine with all the kids and gear – we were surprised at how much poke was available when fully loaded.
Maybe a bit of engine noise under brisk acceleration but when cruising it seems fine (we do a lot of trips to Wexford) - acceleration is reasonable by the way when dropping down to 3rd gear . I’ve honestly haven’t found it to be “underpowered” as such but again I guess it’s up to what you are comparing it against and what you are used to - our other car is a 1.6 also - 4 door saloon. We have the Verso over 2 years now (from new) and my wife loves it. The only complaint is the boot is pretty small if all seven seats are up but that’s usually a rare occurrence.