Thoughts on Shanakiel, Cork (Mile Stream Development)?

AlroD

I'm a first time-poster here but a long time viewer so take in easy on me please :).

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the new private housing development in Shanakiel by Coleman Brothers called Mile Stream - entrance just off the blarney road by the Grotto. My girlfriend and I have been looking at a house here (asking price of €355k). They are lovely houses but we were wondering what the area would be like to live in?

Should its closeness to the Knocknaheeny and the Hollyhill area put us off completely or is that just being silly? I'm working in the west side of the city and she's working on the east side of the city. Even from the point of view of shops, bars, etc. what would it be like?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

There is some previous discussions of the general area here http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=49407
& http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?p=409844

There are a few pubs on Blarney St but can't say I've ever been drinking in any. The Village Inn on Sunday's Well Road was the best pub around in my opinion.

There is a SuperValu in Knocknaheeny but not much else in terms of shops really.

Depending where you are working getting to the South Link say could be a bit of a nightmare at peak times.

Thanks for the info Olympian. My girlfriend would be commuting to Glanmire with me commuting to Ballincollig. It seems to be around a 10/15 minute drive from Ballincollig through the back roads which is fine. While I know we would be near the city, I guess one of our main concerns is regarding access to typical services...shops, bars, restaurantes, cinema, etc. Maybe being near the South Link would be more practical!

I've looked at this estate but was disappointed that there are no detached houses. Also I feel they have wasted the beautiful views that the site has. Very few of the houses get the benefit of them as most are at a right angle to the panorama. I suppose they had to fit in as many units as possible

Generally I felt the houses were overpriced and a bit pokey inside. Colemans did a development in Fair Hill not so long ago. Beautifully finished and very spacious inside. Its a pity they didn't do the same in Shanakiel.

Live near there myself not really any pubs around that area worth mentioning ,Supervalue in hollyhill is fine and has all you need except the crowds, there is a great Butcher on sundays well rd called O flynns Annies used be ok on sundays well rd but now a bit of a dump fairly rough crowd . It will cost you about a tenner to come from town in a cab ! !
I viewed the houses myself and felt that were very small for the price.
Did not check with them how many are for social houseing
Driving wise Ideal for Ballincollig but not to sure about Glanmire

Back